News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

worth

Started by geraldchainsaw, 2010-12-26 15:35

Previous topic - Next topic

geraldchainsaw

hi,  someone asked me and i couldn't tell,   is a rag top worth more then a hard top conv?,    or vise versa,     i saw a hard top conv go for 32 on Barris Jackson the other day,  which i thought was low,   jerry

JimNolan

Jerry,
   As far as I'm concerned yes. It's not that the hardtop convertable isn't covited, it is. It's just that the ragtop is more rare. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

suede57ford

The ragtop seems is more sought after.   

The survival rates of the retracts were very good because of the novilty of the mechanical top in comparison to the ragtops, which in there day were not as unique and had bad rust issues.

Retracts were often saved from the crusher because everyone though the must be worth a bunch of money.

They both are cool in my book.

We have examples of both in my family, and the ragtop seems to be used more as, it is shorter and easier to make a hot rod out of.
57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429

Zapato

I'd never use Barret-Jackson as a price/value indicator, There is a lot of emotion there that affects the price, that being said by their very nature convertibles tend to rot out in greater numbers that any thing else which means less survivors. Not having a gutter rail above the door means every time you open either door on a rainy day a certain amount of water will enter your car and be trapped in your carpet. Drive a convertible any amount of time in a wet climate and you soon learn to hesitate getting out or end up with a wet leg. And as the tops start breaking down the elements will start invading. Nothing more harmful than wet carpet sitting on top of floor boards, The retracts lasted longer for reasons already covered.

Zap- :burnout:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

shopratwoody

Not pertaining to value, but if I never see a flip top with the top
half open at a car show it won't hurt my feelings.
I hate blocksanding!

canadian_ranchero

i have a october 2009 oldcars price guide.a #3 car[most driver show cars are #3]they say the convert is worth $18,900.the retractable is worth $20,700.so they are close

geraldchainsaw

hi,  look up between 1 & 2,    its not dealer clean underneath,  but close,   but then they use to undercoat back in those days,   jerry

JimNolan

Guys,
   I'm sure the worth of a 57 Ford no matter what body style is directly related to the passion we have toward our vehicles. Putting a money figure on the passion that led us to buy and restore a 57 Ford far exceeds the realistic value of our cars. My car is realistically worth about half as much as I put into it. But, if you tried to buy it from me I'd ask for every penny I put into it and then some. If a 57 Chevy enthusiast owned the car he'd sell it to you for a forth of what I have in it and be tickled he got rid of it.
   I have driven a lot of miles and campaigned my car at the shows since 2004 and the most important lesson I learned about the value of a classic car is that passion is the only real evaluator of worth. If the guy judging your car at a show likes Chevys, you could lose to a lessor car. If a judge likes Fords you could win over a superior car. One thing is for sure, if you restored your car for car shows, you should have restored a 57 Chevy. Barret Jackson is a prime example of passion buying, I cringe every time a Ford goes across the block at Barret Jackson. Jim

lowrider

I enjoy watching the Barrett-Jackson auctions but the whole show is so biased towards Chevies, Camaros & Chevelles it gets disgusting sometimes. You see a beautifully restored 30s or 40s car sell for 1/2 of what some 69 Camaro sells for. And if its not a Mustang they just don't cover it.

RICH MUISE

Amen...and the sad part is it probably cost twice to restore a '57 ford as compared to a '57 chev and a lot more time because of repair or fabrication of parts that aren't even available for the fords.  we gotta love our fords....and honestly... I like almost all 50's era cars regardless of manufacturer but the last thing in the world I could get enthused about is restoring a tri 5 chevy.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

JimNolan

You'd be surprised at the people I've ran into at a car show that said " Thank God someone brought something besides a 57 chevy to a car show, I'm so sick of seeing 57 chevys I could throw up". And to tell the truth, I'm the same way. I don't even go over to look at them anymore. But if a Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Studibaker, etc. arrives, I'll make sure I look it over and talk to the owner.
  There's a guy up here where I live that has a drop dead gorgous 57 chevy convertable. Every nut and bolt is turned the correct way. When you ask him something about his car he didn't know, all he could say about the car was it cost 85K. Come to find out he bought it restored and had it shipped up here from Florida because he thought car shows would be fun when he retired. I don't talk to anyone very long that don't know anything about their classic car. You'll see him at the car shows and he's always sitting by himself. It's not that he's an unfriendly guy, it's just that most people that restore and show classic cars haven't got anything to talk to him about.

Jim

geraldchainsaw

ok,  i guess i brought up a good subject,   i guess u could say what weve heard over the years,  i myself had my first 57 back in 59,  and being a kid found many things that have helped me with the one i have now,   1st one was a stick,  so i had many problems with the linkage from the brake peddle to the bracket between the peddle to the clutch,  which i had to beef up with extra metal and welds,  and then there was the fender over the head lite that would rust out,  those were the ones i remember most,    so today being more experienced and after 2 other cars restored,  and this will be my last (to old)  and to bad because i've gotten better at painting and body work,   but getting back to car shows,   it is nice to go up to a car and owner and being able to talk to him and what hes done to restore it,   compared to a guy that all hes done is pay the money and don't know anything,   theres to many cars out there called trailor queens, no experience, even get help to put it on the trailor,   and your right about Barris Jackson,  i've noticed that all they show is cameros corvets chevs etc,  mustanges u see some and money isn't there unless u have a shelby and the old man with them,   i get a bigger kick out of the guys trying to jack up the bids,  and you would think theres tons of money out there,  i saw 1 60 ford and that was the only one i've ever seen,  i had one of those when i was younger also,  new from the dealer for 2000,   o well, can't go back,  but we can bring back the memories,   and the input from everyone helps,   as far as my conv,   i don't thnik i'll be getting rid of it,    unless one of you guys wants to trade for a 32 5 window,    o almost forgot,   we/ve made another year, another year older,    happy new year to ya all,    Jerry

shopratwoody

Watching the 2010 Barret stuff right. At least the 70-71 Boss 429
Mustangs are going up. One just sold for $250.000 :001:
I hate blocksanding!

cool57

Quote from: shopratwoody on 2010-12-27 13:35

Ditto! Up or down! Everyone knows it's a retractable.

Zapato

Quote from: shopratwoody on 2010-12-27 13:35

I feel the same way about open doors, hoods and trunklids. I understand that at some indoor show judges will not open them and there can be considerable points lost in scoring. However I tend to not let the retractable tops halfway up bother me, Yes we all know what they are but think of the young kid that's never seen one, its definitely going to stop him in his tracks. And it may eventually lead him to search out and save another retractable.
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72