News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

worth

Started by geraldchainsaw, 2010-12-26 15:35

Previous topic - Next topic

JimNolan

Guys,
I just got thru measuring my 2 door hardtop and the measuement from the door to the end of the fin is 93 1/2 inches.

Distance from rear window to end of fin is 46 1/2 inches.

Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

geraldchainsaw

ok,   i got 93" from rear of door to fin,  from bott of conv window to fin, 50",  i worked at fords in tool & die,   of course not in 57,  but anyway,  there would be so many changes that would have to be made if the hard top conv was longer,  drive shaft, frame,  which i'm sure they didn 't extend,   a longer quarter panel, chrome or stainless strip,  i'm pretty sure if  you put a hard top and rag top and maybe a 2 door into a box,  they would all fit,   adjustments would be made for all to fit into the box,   but i guess we won't know until someone get the measurements from a hard top conv

Ford Blue blood

93 1/2" at the door handle to the end of the tail light housing.  The bottm rear of the roof sail to the rear most part ot the tial light fin chrome is 63" (plus or minus 1/2", couldn't get the cover high enouph to get right on the fin).

and I hate it when they park them with the roof half way down/up.  The car is good looking with the top stowed, put a continental kit with bumper extensions and it does look 3 miles long!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

Isn't the internet and this website great!!!! not too many years back we may have had to wait months for a car show or whatever to resolve a discusion like this. Overnight we have a definetive answer.
Just a note of reference, my custom 2dr measures 85 1/2... 8" shorter.   Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

geraldchainsaw

ok,   maybe someone should measure from the head lite fender lip to the back fin,  looks like everyone gets the same thing from the back of the door,  i'll start it,   i get 201"

RICH MUISE

speaking of the posted pic of the retractible...that pic is of a car at a salvage yard in Colorado, East of Colorado Springs. I've never taken a close look at it, but it seems to be pretty complete and in reasonably good shape if anyone is interested. it being pretty complete makes me think the yard is selling it as a restorable vehicle rather than using it as a parts car. I may be headed up that way in February (weather permitting) if anyone needs me to check it out. Thay yard has about 20 or so '57's. I can look up the contact info for them if anyone wants it. I think Gerald contacted them last summer about an exhaust manifold.
I'm thinking maybe a special section in our links area might be nice for salvage yards known to have '57's. What do you guys think?

hogwagon

I live in Colorado Springs Colorado and have a business in town with a shop. We are in the process of acquiring a 57 Ranch Wagon and would be happy to help in any way. This site has already been gold to us and we have a lot of work to do so I am sure we will be a total pain in the rear with questions you guys have heard so many times before.

JimNolan

Hogwagon,
   I'll guarantee you can't think up any dumber question that I've asked before. The nice thing about this website is, the guys will answer that question. Jim

Lou

As per the 1957 Ford Car specifications booklet (second addition)
Convertible Frame 186.50 over-all
Retractable Frame 192.63 over-all

shopratwoody

Regarding the open hood and door thing.Sometimes I've opened
the hood till the safety latch catches it because the judges won't
judge it without  seeing the engine.Funny because with another
Ranchero it took first place at the All Ford Picnic at La Palma park
with the hood closed. It was all chromed up etc under there but
I never liked the looks with the hood open. My Black one gets around
some and I hate the hood open.I've cracked it a few times but don't like the look. It's a good look'n big block and runs hard. I just don't
like the hoods open. So, I really don't care  if it ever gets judged.
Catch me at a Red light and check it out :burnout:
I hate blocksanding!

RICH MUISE

Quote from: Lou on 2011-01-08 13:16
As per the 1957 Ford Car specifications booklet (second addition)
Convertible Frame 186.50 over-all
Retractable Frame 192.63 over-all
but the wheelbase is probably the same...probably just added an extra support crossmember at the back end which added the 6" overall.Similar to what they did to the custom frame for the wagons.

RICH MUISE

Quote from: hogwagon on 2011-01-08 10:15
I live in Colorado Springs Colorado and have a business in town with a shop. We are in the process of acquiring a 57 Ranch Wagon and would be happy to help in any way. This site has already been gold to us and we have a lot of work to do so I am sure we will be a total pain in the rear with questions you guys have heard so many times before.
hogwagon...check your personal messages...Rich

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: geraldchainsaw on 2011-01-08 09:53
ok,   maybe someone should measure from the head lite fender lip to the back fin,  looks like everyone gets the same thing from the back of the door,  i'll start it,   i get 201"

I went from the top of the fender to the tip of the chrome at the end of the fin....203 + - 1/2"....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

geraldchainsaw

ok,  ford blue bl;ood,     what r u checking ?  a conv ragtop,  plain fairlane 500,  or a hardtop conv????????????like i said   201" for a ragtop,  lets get this done

JimNolan

Jerry,
    I'm sitting here with tears streaming down my face. How could you use the term " plain fairlane 500 ". There's nothing plain about a fairlane 500. I feel stepped on, lied to, cheated on and treated like dirt. LOL  Jim