News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

bleeding barakes

Started by geraldchainsaw, 2011-01-02 15:11

Previous topic - Next topic

geraldchainsaw

has any one used the bleeding brake tool,  a one man tool??????????,    i've used the the ones NPD has and they didn't work for me,    so i was thinking of trying the one from Eastwood,  anyone have experience with it?????????????????,  thanks   jerry

JimNolan

Jerry,
   This is how I bleed my brakes. I get a plastic bottle that you can see liquid thru and a clear rubber hose that will fit over the end of the brake bleed screw. I loosen the screw a little bit and put the rubber hose over the end. I then insert the other end of the rubber hose into the plastic bottle. I position the bottle higher than the bleed screw so the brake fluid I pump out has to go up the hose into the bottle. I then pump the brakes until I get some brake fluid in the plastic bottle. I then close the bleed screw tight and go to the next wheel and do the same. Start with the furtherest wheel and work back to the closest wheel. That's it. Don't cost too much either and works great every time. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

4banger

I made a plate that lays on the MC. I put 2 metal air valves in the plate. One for the front cyl. and one for the back. I run about 10 lbs of air to the master from my compressor. Just go around and open the bleeders and you don't need MOMMA to help.

foooordy

hey 4 banger, how is Fla. when you be home . u not missing much here
57 Foooordy

geraldchainsaw

ok,  i don't think i explained it right,   has any one used the bleeding tool  that looks like a squeeze handle that pushes the brake fluid back to the master cyl?,  are they any good????????????,    thanks    jerry

JimNolan

Jerry,
   I didn't know you could do that with a car brake system. On my airplane I had two brake cylinders ( one for each foot ). The brake fluid resorvior was on the firewall and it fed both brake cylinders. You HAD to use the hand pump like you're discribing on that application. All we did was go to NAPA and get a little oil can with a small pump that you pushed with your thumb to pump oil. We used that to bleed the brakes on the airplane by pumping brake fluid from the wheel to the resorvior as you're discribing.
   On a system that uses one cylinder to furnish brake fluid to four brake pistons I'd think you'd just push air from one wheel to another using your method of bleeding brakes. On the airplane I only had one cylinder and brake piston per wheel. Jim

4banger

I used my method for years drag racing and never had any problems. I did it with a single master cyl. with 4 wheel drums also with no problems. Just don't let the master cyl. run low. Same as pumping the pedal but with no helping hand.

Ford Blue blood

I let mean ol Mr. Gravity do most of mine.  Fill the master cylinder up, open the blead screws, open a beer and wait.  Close them one at a time as fluid starts to drip.  Has worked on every car I have built.  Only had to go back once with the wife helping and that turned out to be a not so tight fitting on the rear axle.....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

JimNolan

Jerry,
   I just re-read 4bangers explaination of how he bleeds brakes. I'm impressed now that I understand what he's talking about. Ford Blue Blood has the best way if it actually works, as far as the beer, is that an essental part of the brake bleeding method. Jim

geraldchainsaw

ok,  to true blood,    let me get this right,    fill the master cyl,  top off,  open the wheel cyl's,  let drip,  now all or just one at a time?????????,  if just 1 at a time,  the rear first?????????,   thanks,   jerry

hogwagon

I have bought and used about all of the gizmos that are out there with a bit of frustration. Short of the old style bleeder ball we had at a gas station when cars were fixed there. The best I have found is a hypedermic syringe that I got from a friend medic.I hear pet supply store is poss. source. You do not need (or want ) the needle part. A piece of clear plastic tubing over the bleeder valve and end of the syringe used to Draw fluid as you open the bleeder valve. Close the valve,unhook the hose  from the valve and push the contents of the syringe into a cup or jar. Repeat as needed without letting the mastergo dry. Done quite a few without help from the house. Much easier.

JimNolan

Hogwagon,
    I've got about three of the really big syringes like you're talking about and I use them for all kinds of things around the hanger. I've got to say YOUR way of bleeding brakes is sounding best so far. Sorry 4 banger, I'm jumping ship and going with Hogwagon until someone comes up with a way just to sit back, drink beer and have the car brakes bleed themselves. Wait, Ford Blue Blood came up with that way. Sorry Hogwagon, I'm jumping ship again. Jim

geraldchainsaw

sorry guys,  all i wanted to know is if anyone has used the bleeding tool from Eastwood???????????????????????

Ford Blue blood

I open all at once....the beer is optional.....it does help as watching for the first drips keeps the mess down.....the wheels closest to the master cylinder start to drip first, just close them down and wait for the rest.  Never used the Eastwood tool so I can't help there.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

cool57

Quote from: geraldchainsaw on 2011-01-04 08:22
sorry guys,  all i wanted to know is if anyone has used the bleeding tool from Eastwood???????????????????????

I used one very similar and it was pain the ...uh, neck. I ended up doing the gravity bleed one at a time, right rear/left rear/right front/left front. Just have to watch MC level and don't let it go dry.