News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

351w motor mounts ?

Started by tarheel57, 2011-01-03 18:13

Previous topic - Next topic

tarheel57

Ok guys,what is the best option for a motor mount for a 351 windsor in my 57 ? I have read some of the older post and looks as if a lot of different ones have been tryed.My motor should be back from the builder soon and I would like to have my mounts ready.Seams that some have used the 93 mustang 5.0 mounts,and some have used the early 70's ford truck mounts.Also one of the members spoke of a vender that now makes the after-market mounts like Butches rod shop use to sell.I keep seeing a lot of negetive feedback on Gearheads,so I dont know about dealing with them.If any of you mave any more information on what works best,or brand and part numbers,vender names and phone numbers or web site.Thanks for any and all help and information ,Tarheel 57.   :006: :unitedstates:

Frankenstein57

Tarheel, if you look at the pictures in the under construction section, I have a close up of the fox mustang mounts on a 351. I had to slot the holes to facilitate easier drop in. I thought they mounted up nicely, but the mustang bellhousing and t-5 trans hit the tunnel. My fix was to shim the body mounts an inch, worked ok but I don't like it. I am going to remove the shims, and tunnel the trans area. I asked several others how their small block mounts worked out, but no one replied. What trans are you planning to put behind the 351?  I haven't worked on the 57 since I bought my 58, I hope to finish the 58 and get back to the 57 project.  Mark

57AGIN

Tarheel57:

Some time ago I posted a response to the small block motor mount question it is on page 2 of this thread regarding 302 motor mounts.  Attached is a better set of pictures than I attached to the original response.  Also, here is what I responded back then.  These photos show how the triangular piece attaches to the cross member, how the bolt through the rubber donut attaches to the flat piece that actually bolts to the engine.  It is a pretty neat setup and would not be hard to fabricate if it is no longer available.

"The best setup I found was a triangular set of motor mounts from the Midwest (used to be Butch's Rod Shop).  As you have probably found out the small block Ford uses a horizontal type of motor mount, while the 57 setup was more for a vertical type of mount configuration.  The Y-blocks and FE motors use the 57 type of mount and pose no problem.  Many guys have said they used a small block mount from a particular year of model of Ford product, but I haven't seen the final product in place.  The best I can do is show you the difference between the two types of motor mounts.  Note that the triangular mount has two bolts for mounting the motor mount to the engine mount cross member, while the stock small block mounts have only one bolt to do this.  The horizontal portion of the triangular mount uses the original small block holes in the engine block.  The only negative about the triangular mount was the original rubber donuts had to be replace within a year by modern technology urethane bushings that won't deteriorate.  I've also included a shot of a mock-up motor being fitted into my 57, using a small block motor mount.  As you can see the single bolt small block mount doesn't come near to providing a good solid mount.  The cost was not excessive, but I don't know where they can be located today.  There must be a number of 57 owners with small blocks that may know where they can be found today.

Bob
57AGIN

My 351 bolts up to a BW T-10 4 speed and the geometry /fit was perfect the engine sits comfortably in the motor mount cross member and even with the 475 HP my blower equiped 351 puts out it does not torque excessively.

57AGIN

Tarheel57:

Here is another photo of the motor mount from above, taken before I got the 57 back on the road in 2004 and one of the overall engine as it sits in the car today.

Bob
57 AGIN

bossguy

Has anyone ever tried the 63-64 galaxie 289 mount? It bolts to the block and has one stud to basically the same style frame mount on the 57?

Frankenstein57

Bob, looks like a nice set of mounts, are they no longer in business?   Mark

tarheel57

Mark I am running a AOD automatic,non-electronic. Guys thanks for all the information, anymore info is welcome.Thanks,Tarheel57 :unitedstates:

Alex L.

they are still in business and i'm pretty sure they still make the parts. go into the "49/60 ford" tab on the main page.
Here is the URL below.

http://www.butchscoolstuff.com/

57AGIN

Alex L:

Thanks for the update on Butch's.  When I tried to contact Butch's Rod Shop back when I had the problem with the rubber spacer donut it had gone out of business.  Apparently the business has changed and is still a viable source.  I empiled him and will continue to recommend his mounts.  I think they are great.

Bob
57 AGIN

Ford Blue blood

Back in the day, after retiring from the Navy and getting a real job, I built cars for a living.  Butches was a supplier of many parts to me and my customers.  His stuff was always great, fit well and he stood by it if there was a problem.  He sold out in 91/92 due to family issues.  I lost track as my real job started in 93.  Glad to hear he/the name is back.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

ranchero57

if you will look in the under construction gallery you will find a side view of my engine showing my motor mounts.i had to make spacers because the milodon oil pan is a little different on the bottom and touched the cross member slightly.a stock pan cleared o k .the mounts are for a early 70s ford piclup(from autozone about 12 bucks) campy

RICH MUISE

since Butch's make adapters and other components that are specifically for '57's, I was able to add him to our list of vendor links.  thanks, Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

57AGIN

Guys:

Since my 57 is in process of coming apart I thought I'd snap a couple of photos showing the Butch's Motor Mounts for the small block Ford into a 57 Ford.  One shot of the motor mount when the engine is installed (passenger side with a ground strap still attached).  One after the engine has been removed (note the two bolts attaching the mount to the cross member).  The final shot is with the horizontal part of the mount still attached to the 351W after the engine was removed.

These mounts have withstood 17,000 miles of street and a little bit of quarter mile operation.  I think a real good product.

Bob
57 AGIN