News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Concours Parts - unpleasant experience

Started by JimNolan, 2011-01-19 12:38

Previous topic - Next topic

JimNolan

Guys,
   I usually don't gripe about people I do business with but Concours Parts in Carson City, NV just made me mad. I ordered a power steering ram and hoses from them. They even called back after the order to make sure I had ordered the right one. You see, the early 57's used parts that were left over from the 56's and my car falls into that category. Well sir, they sent me the right steering ram but sent me hoses that fit the later 57-59 cars. No big deal, we all make mistakes.
   I called Concours this morning to get an RMA number and a shipper to send the hoses back. ( I didn't feel like I should foot the bill when they were the ones that made the mistake ). The man told me in no uncertain terms they had sent me the correct hoses and if I didn't want them to send them back because they weren't paying for my mistake. Otherwise he said I could just keep them. He said, " it's only going to cost 3 bucks to send them back. I started to say " well, I already paid $44.49 for shipping and handling already".
   I explained to him they had sent me the right ram and if they'd just looked at the cyliner they would have seen the hoses didn't fit the ram. The 57-59 hoses take a 7/16 wrench to put on and the ones I needed took a 9/16 wrench. A large difference in fittings and hose size.
   When I ordered the ram I'd given him a part number of what I wanted. He asked me if I wanted hoses too and I said yes without looking up the part number first. That was my mistake in figuring I was talking to someone that could relate 56 Ford Ram to needing 56 Ford pressure hoses to go with it.
  KNOW WHAT YOU WANT AND THE PART NUMBER BEFORE YOU ORDER FROM THEM.  DON'T TAKE FOR GRANTED THEY KNOW WHAT THEY'RE DOING. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

Zapato

Its amazing to me that some companies believe they can still operate this way. 20 years ago if this happened they'd get badmouthed to maybe 10-15 guys and maybe 5-8 of those guys wouldn't do business with them and they'd warn a few others. But today with the internet being what it is one complaint can scare away thousands of potential customers with one posting. One sour customer can over ride thousands of dollar spent on advertising.  That being said Jim's final shout out is as spot on as can be had, and as my brother (former gunshop owner) always said "the customer is not always right".

Zap- :burnout:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

geraldchainsaw

got a few things to say about Concours,    1st for me its far away and takes a week or so to get what i want,  2nd,  sometimes the part comes in a box and it has Dennis Carpenter on it,  and hes alot closer then concours,  as far as prices,  all suppliers are pennys within each other

Ford Blue blood

Dealers buy from the same supplier for the most part.  ACC in AL provides carpets for a butt load of suppliers, Burtons does the same with their trim items and Carpenters sends his out to those that want the parts he manufacures.  The originator of the part ships (drop shipped) per the dealers instructions for the most part.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

JimNolan

Guys,
   I got the hoses shipped back to Concours last week. It cost $10.00 to ship the parts back. I did put in a letter to them that stated I didn't appreciate the way I'd been treated. I told them that I go to a lot of car shows each year including very big ones and that I got to talk to a lot of people not withstanding the 57 Ford websites I belong to. I informed them that I'd relate my experiences with Concours whenever the occasion arose. That's the only recoarse we have. Jim

JimNolan

Guys,
    Anyone following this thread should be informed of the outcome of the recent unpleasant experience I had with Concours Parts. They called me about an hour ago. The man was very apologetic of the way my transaction with them had transpired. He apologized and told me he was remitting $35.00 in shipping fees I had paid along with the original price of the pressure hoses. I must admit I wasn't very pleasent with him on the phone as I think he didn't deserve a friendly attitude from me. But, the bottom line is this: THEY RECOGNIZED THEIR MISTAKE AND COMPENSATED ME FULLY. I can't ask for anything more than that. I will deal with them again knowing they will recognize mistakes they make and make it right. Don't get me wrong, from here on out I'll look harder for venders offering the same product and use them when I need to.  Jim

Zapato

Good to hear they made it right, maybe they had seen your post. Nevertheless sounds like things are now right in Nolanville.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

bossguy

I'm glad to hear that. I plan on buying their bars for my sons project.

JPotter57

I am happy that they made it right, Jim.  I have bought from them on several occasions, and truly, if I had received the wrong part, it would have been my fault.  I called and ordered parts, gave part numbers and never asked any questions.   I would have had to eat it.  Fortunately, everything I have ever ordered from them has been right on, and I had no problems.  They do seem to be good people, and like you said, they did recognize their mistake and make it up to you.   Good deal all around.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

JimNolan

Guys,
  Let me say a couple things and then we can let this thread expire. I am usually the one that makes the mistakes or has the misunderstanding when it comes to problems occuring with a transaction I make. Thank God they're very few. I am relatively happy with most venders I deal with. But I'm getting old, I have less patience with people that talk rude to me and are wrong too. That's a bad combination, rude AND wrong.
   Zapato hit on something I didn't notice until the last post. At the top of this thread theres a line in blue that tells you what the topic of this thread is AND in parenthesis it tells you the number of people that have read this thread. The people that read this thread are interested in, restoring or maintaining a classic Ford. I'd think that if I were a vender and I sold to that select group of people I'd recongnize this and speak to my customers accordingly. I'm sure Concours didn't appologize and refund my shipping cost because of this website. I think they did it because they ARE good people and want to make things right to keep us as customers. Thanks again James for providing us with a platform and a voice for the transfer of knowledge and experience for the hobby we enjoy. Jim