News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Switched 12v wire?

Started by Alex L., 2011-01-21 13:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex L.

Can someone help me out and tell me what wires in my 57 500 are switched 12v? i am going to be upgrading from a 1g to a 3g alternator on the 351 windsor and i need a switched 12v to hook into, i will also be putting in a new stereo and i will need it for the remote wires. Any help is appreciated.

Ford Blue blood

If I remember correctly (manual is in the shop) the center post is the ACC position.  This is hot when the switch is in run and ACC.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

shopratwoody

I can't remember for sure either. When the ign sw is dropped down
below the dash double check with tester.
Ron
I hate blocksanding!

Alex L.

I've done some hunting. Apparently the (+) positive wire on the ignition coil can be used to trigger the alternator. Who knew?

canadian_ranchero

check for a resister on the coil wire,you will not get 12 volts on the wire if it does

shopratwoody

I don't like the idea of using coil wire IMO. Just seems Micky :003:
I hate blocksanding!

Alex L.

Quote from: shopratwoody on 2011-02-06 23:31
I don't like the idea of using coil wire IMO. Just seems Micky :003:

You do have a point there, it is pretty lazy compared to just crunching the wiring diagram and finding a wire that will work.

shopratwoody

I wired mine a few yrs ago, isn't just the start wire on the sw?
I hate blocksanding!

cool57

One side of the headlight switch is always hot.

shopratwoody

On my car when I raced it the guy that wired it put a sw to turn
the alt on or off. If I left it on when the car was off the btry went dead.
:burnout:
I hate blocksanding!

iamflashman

Just use the ACC on the ignition switch.  It is the perfect wire for a stereo since you want your stereo to work in both ON and ACC position.

If you drop the ingnition switch down, you will see the posts are labelled.  Just use a crimpon eye connector on the ACC terminal and you have a switch 12V.

To make adding accessories easier, I actually install a fuse block at the top of the kick panel area that has a bank for IGN and a bank for ACC fuses.  Then, when you add a new accessory, just pop in a fuse and run a wire.

You can get inexpensive fuse blocks at Autozone or really nice ones from Painless wiring.

Good luck!
1957 Ford Convertible 428CJ/Tremec TKO
1957 Ford Ranch Wagon 5.0L EFI/AOD - sold :(
1964 Fairlane 500 Thunderbolt clone
1958 Edsel Bermuda

1957 ________________ Ford
\___((_______________))___/
(@)________V__________(@)
[________I_____I_________]
__[__]__ o_______o___[__]___

Alex L.

I finally got around to popping the ignition out and will be putting in a fuse block so i can have multiple switched 12v circuits.

Can anyone confirm that the center terminal is in fact the ACC terminal?

Ford Blue blood

Alex forgot all about this thread.  The center terminal is hot from the battery.  You have three other terminals that come off the side of the switch.  One is the start to the starter, one is hot in run and the third is hot in run and acc.  The start wire isred/blue band, the run wire is red/green, the acc wire/s blue/green and the 12V hot is yellow.  Small gauge blue/green is found on both the run and acc, run to power temp and fuel, acc to power the idiot lights.  Hope this helps you out.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Alex L.

ok, i should be able to figure it out.

Thank you muchly

Alex L.

Man, I'm a dummy. Once i cleaned the dust off of the ignition cylinder the terminals were marked.