News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

different

Started by zetterberg, 2011-02-05 13:06

Previous topic - Next topic

zetterberg

I am looking at replacing my 312 y block with aut. trans.  Rebuild is just to costly.  Any suggestions on what I could use as a drop in without to many complications.  Thanks

glen courier

Look at Lono's post further down. He put a 390 in his ranch wagon.

rmk57

If my Custom had come with a factory 312 in it I would have rebuilt it and added a few performance goodies. Since mine came with a 272 and I wanted a bit more get up and go
I'm installing a 460, C-6 combo. For a daily driver a 351 windsor is hard to beat for fitment and affordability. 
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

bossguy

RMK, are you going with the Crites mounts, crossmember? Just curious. Thanks

rmk57

I bought their swap headers but I'm going to build my own motor mounts / trans mount. From what I've seen with this swap using Crites
mounts the engine sits higher and further forward which is not to my liking. 
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

shopratwoody

FWIW I used Crites mounts and rear crossmember and the engine
sits low and back where it should. Used FPA headers and they are
quality. I run a 429 these days. I'm going to put a skid plate from
the frnt crossmember to the crossmember at the bellhousing to
save the pan from scraping now. The pan on my lowered 78 Ranchero
is too beat up, so I wanna protect the 57 :003: It eventually gets
to the pan plug.
I hate blocksanding!

rmk57

There must be a second gen mount / crossmember / header. A local racer has a 523c.i. bbf in a 57 sedan delivery and used Crites stuff and his engine sits
far forward and up. Is it possible to mix up the mounts from left to right? Do you have any pics of your engine in your Ranchero?
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

shopratwoody

I'll find some or take some more :002:
Ron
I hate blocksanding!

shopratwoody

Quote from: rmk57 on 2011-02-06 17:18
There must be a second gen mount / crossmember / header. A local racer has a 523c.i. bbf in a 57 sedan delivery and used Crites stuff and his engine sits
far forward and up. Is it possible to mix up the mounts from left to right? Do you have any pics of your engine in your Ranchero?

I hate blocksanding!

bossguy

That looks pretty much the way the 429 sits in my sons Edsel Ron. We used the late 80's F250, 460 engine mounts and he wants to modify the stock trans crossmember to clear the C-6 pan. I'll have to reread Rich Muise's photo resizing post and post some pics.

rmk57

I installed the 460 last week and the Crites swap headers. They fit ,but tight on the #4 tube by the frame rail and #8, about 1/8" clearance to the steering box.
I ground another 1/8" with die grinder and carbide burr so I should have enough room now.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

Ford Blue blood

Looks like a very "cozy" fit.....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

shopratwoody

I chose the FPA shorty headers for ground clearance. I had a lot
of custom long tube headers when the car sat high.
I hate blocksanding!

Todd Menning

Is your 312 rebuildable? If so are you planning on selling it? I'm looking for a 57 312 block. let me know.

Todd
tnzmen@hotmail.com