News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

1957 Ford Fairlane 500 Sway Bar

Started by progoat, 2011-02-07 09:55

Previous topic - Next topic

progoat

Any ideas where I can get a front sway-bar, mine just broke. Any help would be appreciated... Thanks, Bo
1957 Ford Fairlane 500
1956 Ford F100

bossguy

If you want stock and its the same as a 59 Edsel (ford) my son has one near Daytona Beach. We plan on installing the Concours Parts 1 1/8 bar on reassembly.

RICH MUISE

concourse and thunderbirds southwest sell a heavy duty replacement. It's the one bossguy was talking about in the reply before this one. it does not mount in the same location as the stabilizer bar but it is a bolt on and a real nice fit. I've installed mine...pic in gallery section/under construction/row 16 ... My car won't hit the streets for a few years yet so I can't give a personal performance review, but all response from guys who have road tested theirs has been very positive. the links for their website are both in our supplier links section. In the picture note the original bar is on the floor under the h.d. replacement...a major diference.  Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

canadian_ranchero

57 and 58 are the same,if you want a bigger stock one find a s/w

Bubba

Bros:
ordered mine form Thunderbiirds Southwest.
Great unit very clean installation.
Ride and handling is definitley much improved.
BuBBa

tarheel57

Bubba,now that you have your new Thunderbirds Southwest larger heavy duty front swaybar installed and have driven it, can you tell any difference in your turning radius? I have the same swaybar on my custom 300 and have it installed but dont have my car at the driving stage yet,and it looks like on the sides were the swaybar bows out some that it could possible allow the tires to rub when turned all the way.I dont yet have the tires and wheels that I will be running just the old ones that I put on it to move it around.Just wondering,Thanks Tarheel57. :unitedstates:

chero69gt

Rich, or anyone else who has installed this sway bar.  I have a couple of  questions about the sway bar install. I got mine from tbirds southwest but didnt get any instructions. First, The plates for the sides of the frame, do they go on top of the bumper brackets, or under them? Also, there is a slight bend at the end of the bar where the links hook up.  Do the ends of the bar curve up, or down?

Thanks,  Roger

RICH MUISE

Roger, they didn't send instructions with mine either. If you have a fax machine they can fax it to you, or just mail it. The bumper braces have to remain in their original position so they will continue to mate properly with  the bumper, so accordingly, the sway bar plates get added to the outside of the bumper brackets. The curve on the bar points down . I went out and took a pic of some boards, spiderwebs, a whole lot of dust, and oh yeah a sway bar. Hope this helps. Rich
P.S. obviously I don't have my bumper brackets attached yet. When I do, I'll have to remove the sway bar plates to sandwich the brackets in between the frame and new plates.

chero69gt

Thank you , Rich.  I really appreciate the info and the pic.

Roger

Ford Blue blood

Rich need to raise this from the dead....what part number/car do you use to order the sway bar?  How about a rear unit?

Thanks much, Bill
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

Bill, where you live I'd call thunderbirdsouthwest. They are the ones that have it manufactured, and shipping will be cheaper than ordering from concourse. Their contact info is on their website..which is not a very good one yet, but if you go to the website check out the '57 2 dr htp for sale while you are there. I don't know if you will even need part numbers if you order from them..just tell them what it's for..Last time I checked they did not have a special price for ordering both front and rear at the same time, but I'd ask anyways.  Their website is the last one listed on out websites list.  Rich

KidKourier

Yes,  1 1/8" front at $225.97  and 1" rear at $179.84 plus shipping! Phone--- info(979)248-4200 or (800)722-8697 for orders. Kid :006:

RICH MUISE

Unless you're trying to maintain the stock appearance, I'd opt for the larger Southwest units. That 1/4 difference in dia's figures out to a 65.4% difference in crossection area,that's a huge difference, but the mounting location further outboard on the lower control arm also is going to make a big difference in performance. I think also the Addco unit is overpriced for what it is even though it's cheaper than the Southwest.