News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Power Steering Fluid

Started by JimNolan, 2011-02-09 18:18

Previous topic - Next topic

JimNolan

Guys,
    When I installed a new power steering ram I drained all the fluid and replaced it with Type F transmission fluid. I had previously used regular power steering fluid. The book calls for Type A transmission fluid. But, they don't make that anymore. I thought about asking you guys if you thought it was OK but I was afraid you'd think I was stupid for not knowing what to use.
   Well, I finally researched it and found the Thunderbird website in Chicago had tech tips on 55-57 Thunderbird power steering systems. They said you don't want to use regular power steering fluid because it's thinner than Type A transmission fluid and it will cause the seals in the valves and cylinder ram to leak. They say to use Type F or FA transmission fluid.
   After giving it thought I decided that maybe some of you guys are as dumb as I am and would like to know what I found out. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

alvin stadel

Jim, I for one don't think you are stupid for not being sure what oil to use, trust me I come from the  school of hard knocks. The way they keep messing with our oils and lubs these days it's hard to know what to use, when I finished up my 57 bird a couple years ago I made sure I was using the right fluids, I hate oil leaks and I have 3 other cars that require drip pans and most of it comes from power steering parts. I like to learn something new every day, and I feel thats what makes this site special, we are here to help each other. Take care, Alvin