HELP! Flaming River or IDIDIT Steering Columns-Need to Know Length

Started by Bubba, 2011-02-11 13:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubba

Bros:
I've asked this before and never got a response, but being a stubborn old fart who'se set in my ways [just ask my 4 kids] I thought I would give it one last shot.  What length replacement Flaming River or IDIT steering column should I order to repalce my OEM column?  My 63A has factory PS.
Thanks Much
BuBBa

Ford Blue blood

Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Bubba

Bill:
It is the original 1957 Ford OEM power steering box that came with the car from the factory.
to the best of my knowledge its never been changed.
BuBBa

dgasman

I am using the 28 inch flaming river column is my 57 and my 58 BUT I am using non stock P/S Boxes . I also use the 2 1/2 inch flaming river column drops.
HAPPY MOTORING
dgasman

Bubba

Bro:
Which steering boxes are you using?
And thanks
BuBBa

cool57

Quote from: dgasman on 2011-02-11 16:31
I am using the 28 inch flaming river column is my 57 and my 58 BUT I am using non stock P/S Boxes . I also use the 2 1/2 inch flaming river column drops.

Universal? Tilt or non? Column shift or floor? Can you use Ford wheel?
Thanks!

dgasman

On the 58 I am using a modified 605 box and that is a tilt and shift column.
On the 57 I was using a Tbird box but I just changed it to the Borgeson box and it is just a tilt. I have a floor shift on it .They are both universal columns. I will post a pic later of both. I don't think you can use a ford wheel as they use a 69 or newer GM wheel adaptor.
HAPPY MOTORING
dgasman

dgasman

Here's a pic of my 58 Ranchero's column. That is a almost perfect original dash pad.
A pic of my Ranch Wagons column.

P.S.
Thanks Rich for the tip on pic resizing
HAPPY MOTORING
dgasman

wildhog

BUBBA, ON THE RACK&PINION SYSTEM WE USE A 28" COLUMN, BUT WE HAVE WIGGLE ROOM BECAUSE OF THE D-SHAFT.IF YOU ORDER YOUR COLUMN TO FIT A 69 MUSTANG,THE SPLINE WILL LET YOU USE YOU 57 STEERING WHEEL IF YOU WANT. HOPE THIS HELPS. TOM
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)

cool57

Quote from: dgasman on 2011-02-12 00:46
Here's a pic of my 58 Ranchero's column. That is a almost perfect original dash pad.
A pic of my Ranch Wagons column.

P.S.
Thanks Rich for the tip on pic resizing

That's a neat looking console-is it from a T-Bird?

dgasman

HAPPY MOTORING
dgasman

cool57

Quote from: dgasman on 2011-02-12 19:59
Good eye yes its a Tbird console

I have a '65 in my parts pile....uh I mean collection...

Bubba

Wildhog:
What rack and pinion system are you using?
I've heard there is a rack and pinion conversion unit specifically made for the 57 Ford.
The column will be tilt, no shifter, ignition switch on the dash, with a floor shifter-top loader will be using an aftermarket banjo type steering wheel
I checked with Borgeson and their PS box won't work with the stock manual clutch linkage.
Thanks to everyone for your responses.
BuBBa

Bubba

Bros:
More on steering, I've left a couple of voice mail messages for Wurth Designs, the folks who supposedly make a rack and pinion system for the 57 Ford, but haven't gotten a phone call back also sent them an Email but haven't gotten a reply.
Are they still in business?
BuBBA

wildhog

Bubba, I have sent you an e-mail,we have a rack ready to ship,check on this site under steering for members comments that have purchesed this kit, also check older posts on comments on wurth. You can find a link to web site under vendor s&t fab. What engine are you going to use? Thanks TOM
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)