News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

For better or worse, I did it. PLEASE READ !

Started by JPotter57, 2011-02-11 17:40

Previous topic - Next topic

JPotter57

For those of you familiar with social networking sites, I have finally made a site for `57 Fords International.  You can look for it on Facebook, or point here and click: http://www.facebook.com/pages/57-Fords-International/182566455114071
Some folks on here may think that Facebook is mainly for kids, and I'll grant you that, yes, there are a lot of the younger generation on there.  But there are over 500 million FB users, and I am willing to bet that a significant number are old car fans.  I would like to get the word out to as many people as possible that we are here.  I may end up having to upgrade later, but I feel like we have done a great thing with this so far, using what amounts to word of mouth to spread the news about our club.  If you would like to visit the main page of this website, http:www.57fordsforever.com, there is also a FB "like" button there, so that you can further spread the word about this particular website.  Let me know what you think about this guys, and maybe, we can move forward, get some folks in here that want to make things happen.  Face it, I love this site, but I am probably not the one to take it to the next level.  I sometimes dont have time to even update the forum.  I finally updated the main page today, and noticed that the last time I did that was in Jan of 2008.  Which means that the site is over 3 years old and is in need of a revamp itself.  I will be working on that next, but be patient.  I am also hoping to put another newsletter together soon, using some of the stuff from here, and some of the stuff I got from Rich Muise.  As soon as I get time to stop I will try to get it done.  Lets have some feedback on the facebook thing.. :hurricane:
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

geraldchainsaw

sorry,  but for myself i don't like facebook,    i c alot of people i know, (family) and the junk they put on there, personal stuff,   the site we have ifs fine with me,  but i will go with whatever any else does,   jerry

JPotter57

I wont be replacing this site with Facebook.  I have complete control here, whereas I wont with FB.  I can control spammers, web bots for the most part, but the FB experiment is just to direct traffic here.  Any craziness starts being posted there on a regular basis and I can delete it, but that is about it.  As for the club sites, I dont think that friend or fan posts show up there.  Like I said, it is specifically to direct web traffic here.  If it flops, I can delete it.
Old, loud, and fast.

suede57ford

I think it is good idea to be on Facebook.  I personally do not do much with my own page, but it is a way to spread the word that 57Fordsforever exists.   This may force me to learn to post some pictures on the page.  Thanks again for taking the effort James.
57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429

RICH MUISE

I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

wildhog

GOOD IDEA JAMES ANY THING TO GET THE WORD OUT. CAN WE SIGN UP TO BE YOUR FRIEND?L.O.L. TOM
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)

wv 57s forever

:burnout:
why not facebook is the big thing now. i am on it and will be a friend of 57s.

glen courier

We did Buttface for awhile, It seemed like reading bumper stickers, no interaction and no fellowship. Count me out.

shopratwoody

Good for you James. Gotta keep up with the times. Maybe we
could start a revolution :003:I cancelled my acct there a couple
years ago. Just had too many friends I didn't know.
Ron
I hate blocksanding!

Bubba

IMHO it was a good move if it gets the club and webpage more exposure.
I like the idea.
BuBBa

JPotter57

Just to reiterate...I am NOT replacing our club page with Facebook.  There are some concerns that I will be using it as the central meeting place and getting rid of this one.  Not a chance.  I got off of Yahoo and Excite clubs/communities for the reason I am citing now.  I didnt have any real control over the look of the site and the way it operated.  With this site, I pay them once every year or two, and put what I want on here.  I dont have to take ads, so I dont.  If a vendor joins on here to interact, fine.  But trust me, this site will never, as long as I am putting my heart and soul into it, be plagued with ads and/or spam.  If it starts getting spammed a lot, I will replace this message forum with a more secure one.  I like this one and the controls the creators have built into it.  With a new release just around the corner, I think it will be a good upgrade and will last us for a while.  I am trying to keep the main site flash and java free, since not everyone has a killer internet connection, myself included.  Yes, I stupidly got hooked into a year contract for DSL (I had cable!), because they bribed me with $200.  Well, the $200 is gone, and the internet connection sucks.  But, I digress....
The new site will have a different look to it, but will mechanically be the same site.  This forum wont change in appearance at all, mainly because, I hate change for the sake of change.  I want to update the appearance of the main site to make it more attractive, but that is it.  No slow loading graphics, resource hogging flash or shockwave stuff...Just good, old fashioned, HTML code.  Hang in there fellows, this site isnt going anywhere, just gonna get it a much needed hand in drawing attention to our passion.
Old, loud, and fast.

RICH MUISE

James...thanks for all the effort you're putting into it...after all according to our individual tally for time spent on this websie, this is where I spent 11 1/2 days out of the last year and a half or so. Thanks again.   Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe