News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Coil Spring Height

Started by JimNolan, 2011-02-17 17:36

Previous topic - Next topic

JimNolan

Guys,
   I just found out my lower ball joints, the idler arm bushings and one outside tie rod end was not up to par thus I couldn't get my front end aligned. I've ordered everything to fix it and I thought I'd go ahead and fix the front spring height while I had the A-Arms apart. I replaced the coil springs twice trying to get the right height but I'm still down about two inches at the front bumper. Here's what I want to do, so anyone with experience jump in here. I can use your reasoning.
   The free height of my original springs was 15.55". The springs have a deflection rate of 400lbs per inch. I guesstimate that the original 312 engine along with a fordomatic transmission gave me an advertised front end weight of 2375 lbs. This will give me a collapsed coil height of 9.612 inches. This is stock configuration.
THE PEOPLE THAT MAKE SPRING SHIMS CLAIM THAT FOR EVERY ONE INCH OF SHIME THICKNESS, YOU RAISE THE FRONT OF THE CAR TWO INCHES. REMEMBER THAT (if it's true).
   I've got a set of 63 Galaxie springs with a free height of 16.812". It also has a deflection rate of 400lbs. per inch. With the bigger 390 engine, Tremec and bigger capacity radiator I guesstimate the weight on the front of the car at 2450 lbs. This will give me a collapsed coil height of 10.687 inches. That's approximately 1 inch taller than stock. IF THESE CALCULATIONS ARE RIGHT, IT SHOULD PLACE THE FRONT BUMPER TWO INCHES HIGHER.
AM I MISSING SOMETHING HERE OR AM I LUCKING OUT WITH THESE 63 GALAXIE SPRINGS. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

canadian_ranchero

tell me the model and engine and i will get you the stock spring info

JimNolan

Canada,
   Fairlane 500 63A,  390 ci engine.  Jim

shopratwoody

Maybe a 58 with 352?
I hate blocksanding!

canadian_ranchero

here is the spring info from 1958.it is 98% the same as the 1957 chart.will need to cut the chart up to make it fit

canadian_ranchero

the next part

canadian_ranchero

part 3

canadian_ranchero

part 4, hope this info helps

JimNolan

Guys,
  I got through putting my old 63 Galaxie front springs in the 57 today. I'm getting pretty good at taking them apart and putting them back together again. This makes the 4th set of springs I've had under the front end in two years. Now if I could walk and the pain would go away I'd be fine. This is what I found. I was carefull to check bumper Height at the same place ( license plate bracket hole) each time.
1.  Original set of old springs----Free Ht.= 15.450", Weight rating = 400lbs per inch travel----Front bumper Ht. 15" .  2" too low.
2.  Springs from Eaton Detroit to give me 2" at bumper---------Car looked like it was climbing a mountain and rode like a log wagon, sent them back.
3.  Springs from Eaton Detroit --Free Ht. = 15", Weight rating unknown---Car rode almost level for a year, then went down again. Bumper Ht. 15".
4.  Original springs from 63 Galaxie---Free Ht. = 16.812", Weight rating = 400lbs per inch travel---- Bumper Height 17.750". But, I haven't drove it yet, it may     get lower after I hit a few bumps and cycle the springs a few times.  
The car came new with a 15.55" Free Spring Height and a weight rating of 400lbs per inch travel. The rear springs are about 4 years old from Eaton Detroit, it raised the rear bumper about 1.750" when I installed them. The old rear springs were pretty bad.

Conclusion: It's about 3/4" too high right now, hope it comes down a little. By using the same weight rated spring I found out for every 1" you add to the spring you get 2.16" at the bumper. I hope my pain and suffering can help someone else out there. Jim

JimNolan

Guys,
   Do you know if Ford makes different rear leaf spring hanger lengths. I don't want to use the pick your hole and put a bolt through it type hanger, If I need to raise the rear just a little I'd like it to look original. Jim

Lou

The spring hangers were all the same, so was the arch of the main leaf, all Fords sat the same when new.

Ford Blue blood

The shackle could only be one length in reality as the sring end was hung on the hanger and was located between the hanger and the frame....not under the hanger (between the ground and the hanger) as seen on many of the cars with worn out springs which there were many!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

JimNolan

BlueBlood,
    My 57 has the hanger underneath. I thought all 57 Fords were. I know the 63 Galaxie has it like you said. Jim

JimNolan

OH NO,
    I've got the shackles flipped on the rear leaf springs and didn't realize it. No wonder the front end of the car was always too low. It must have happened when I replaced the rear springs back in 06. Jim

canadian_ranchero

Quote from: JimNolan on 2011-02-26 17:18
OH NO,
    I've got the shackles flipped on the rear leaf springs and didn't realize it. No wonder the front end of the car was always too low. It must have happened when I replaced the rear springs back in 06. Jim
i feel your pain.one time i had a no start,replaced the points,no start,replaced the coil,no start,found the ballest resister was bad.