News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

PhotoShoping your car for ideas

Started by 57AGIN, 2011-02-19 21:44

Previous topic - Next topic

57AGIN

I took part of a night school class in PhotoShop a couple of years ago and learned barely enough to put together my fake New Car Dealer sticker featuring my 57.  I saw how the teacher could take and using a variety of options pick out different areas on a picture and change colors, tints and a myriad of other things.  I'm sure that someone familiar with the program could do just about any kind of design work or paint scheme on a car.  However, this is just not me.  I've had to ask a friend to take a couple of photos I gave him and use his skills to PhotoShop different color schemes onto my car.  He's not done yet and both my painter (Santini) and I are anxiously waiting to see what he's able to come up with.  I will share these effort on our Club site and hopefully he can talk me through what he did to accomplish his renderings of my car.  I've seen what he can do in placing a car into a photo and designing a racing poster for a historical Porsche car.  That level of effort is not what I'm after, just putting different color combinations onto my car so I won't be surprised with how the car looks after it has been painted.  I looked all through John Gamble's 1957 Fords site to see what others have done, but it just isn't the same as seeing your ideas on your car.  I'll keep you all posted.  Please wish me luck.  Thanks.

Bob
57 AGIN

JPotter57

What colors are you thinking about?  If I get some time today I can change some colors up.on it, just to see...let me know asap Bob......J
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

57AGIN

James:

Originally, it was going to be Pearlescent Turquoise over Pearlescent White.  Now I'm leaning toward either a Candy Blue over Pearlescent Silver or Pearlescent White.  But I'm not ruling a combination of warmer colors out, yet either.  Decisions, decisions, decisions...

Bob
57 AGIN

RICH MUISE

Candy blue??? are you redoing youre interior also?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

JPotter57

Bob, here is a little quickie 5 minute deal to see if the color is right.  I have a friend in Michigan with a car these colors, and the look is amazing in the sun.  Check it out...
Old, loud, and fast.

57AGIN

James  & Rich:

James, wow, very nice look on the blue/white version.  How about a blue/silver?  Also what program did you use to get the colors onto the photo of my 57?  I tried printing a photo of the attached photo & couldn't do it.  Can the photos be sent to me as jpg attachments on my home computer?  (robertlee1143@aol.com)   

Rich, when I made my choice to possibly change color schemes I realized it would definitely involve reupholstering, too.  I have a shop about 1 mile from where I live that does amazing work for very, very reasonable prices.  I'm having him develop some arm rests, which I found that I really missed from the door panels, a new type of trunk spring cover that will both look better and hold up better and some slightly more bucket seat type foam support for the Glide Engineering bench front seat (more lateral support & a plusher look).  Also, since I generally show my 57 with the trunk open and a 10 foot Hap Jacobs surfboard inside, I'm having him design some upholstery to cover the factory sprayed cracked sound deadening in between the strengthening metal ribs that really looks ugly.  I tried removing this stuff and found that it would probably mess up the thin metal on the outside of the trunk.  Specifically too much working on the cracked material with any kind of tool would be seen on the trunk surface and media blasting would generate too much heat warping the thin metal.  Any good suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated.

Bob
57 AGIN

RICH MUISE

Bob..when I did my trunk lid, the areas you are talking about were the same way...real heavy undercoat, lots of cracks, but stuck on solid. It ended up being the only surface on my car that wasn't stripped to bare metal. (I even stripped inside the cowl, door posts, doors, and backside of dash, etc). after stripping the rest of the trunk lid inside and out, and giving the undercoating a light sandblast to remove the paint, I masked off the metal around the metal support ribbing and went over the old undercoat with a layer of new rattlecan undercoat(paintable)..let it dry thoroughly and primed the entire trunk lid at the same time.
Glad to hear you're reupholstering also, not because I didn't like the turquoise,but I just couldn't picture it with a blue paint.

57AGIN

Hi All:

I've received my first set of renderings.  I had him set it up so I could compare the original color combinations with the new ones.  He thought it would be a good idea to have Rick's 57 in the background to give some continuity to the views.  He cautioned me that the actual pop you can get with metallic, pearlescent or candy colors on a car are extremely difficult to duplicate in PhotoShop.  However, his efforts have given me a good idea of what I want to do.  I'll openthis up to a Photo Pole, but please don't be upset if I choose to go my own way regardless of how the turns Pole turns out.

Due to the size of each photo I'm going to place only one in this reply and each of the next four replies.

The first rendering is of a darker blue and silver combination with the gold annodized trim replaced with engine turned metal.  Kind of different, but in a large rendering it looks much better than the gold (to me anyway).

Bob
57 AGIN

57AGIN

The next rendering shows the same dark blue and silver color combination with real fire trim replacing the gold annodizing.  It pops but I'm not thrilled.

Bob
agin

57AGIN

The next rendering shows the car with a solid silver top and upper part of the body with the darker blue lower body and engine turned trim.  Neither my wife or I were in favor of this combination although it may appeal to some.

Bob
57 AGIN

57AGIN

The next rendering shows the car with a lighter blue (I was looking for a more candy blue) and silver combination again with the engine turned trim.

Bob
57 AGIN

57AGIN

The last one for today shows the 57 in the Darker blue with a white (it would be pearlescent white on the car) and the engine turned trim.

Well these are the five options so far.  The last option is probably one that is closest to what was actually available in 1957 only in the Colonial White.

Bob
57 AGIN

JPotter57

The last one with the deep blue and white look great.  The silver looks good too, just alittle too Dallas Cowboy- ish to me...
Old, loud, and fast.

RICH MUISE

I like the first one also..except I'd try a darker gun metal grey for the inserts

wildhog

JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)