News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

292 grenaded

Started by hogwagon, 2011-02-22 23:37

Previous topic - Next topic

hogwagon

We recently bought a wagon with a seized up engine and last weekend I pulled the engine and disassembled it to find out how bad of shape it's in. Found it snapped off the head of an exhaust valve and shattered a piston, bent a rod and tore out the cylinder wall, so trashed. Plan was for a 351 W T5 swap from the beginning so not too broke up about this. Question is what to keep out of this before I scrap any of it. If I am in the wrong forum please let me know.

rmk57

If there 57 "G" heads and not damaged they may be saving for someone. Exhaust manifolds, 4-bbl intake,..............
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

Ford_Crazy

It's the old Y-block grenade problem ... seen that before.   I sold a pair of 57 "G" heads last year for $250.   If it's a 57 motor, keep the rocker arms also. A Holley pattern Y-Block intake is probably worth $150.  Exhaust manifolds may be worth something also. The rest is junk.

Ford Blue blood

Given the block is too heavy to be a good boat anchor.....I did see a good use for the block the other day.  Guy pushed the pistons to the bottom of the bore filled the cylinders and the vally with dirt and used them as planters on each side of the garage door. :001:
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

hogwagon

Thanks for the information. I will take a closer look at the heads to see if they are salvageable. Has a 2 barrel with Holly carb. Exhaust manifolds look OK. Valve covers and air cleaner look like wall art. Pistons won't move to the bottom of the block so looks like planter idea may be out. What about 3 speed o.d. trans, bellhousing stuff ? Question for when I get to putting the car back together. The rear U joint and yoke looks small to me. Will it live with a 351 or is there a larger yoke that will fit on the stock 9 inch rear end that will take a heavier U joint?

Ford_Crazy

The valuable Y-Block intakes are 4V intakes with the Holley bolt pattern.  The bellhousing, flywheel and the rest of the stick parts are getting hard to find.  If you have a Borg Warner T-85 heavy duty 3 speed OD (probably not), it's good for about $500 if it works.  I wouldn't throw away a regular 3 speed transmission either, but they're not worth a lot unless you need one. The OD relays, harness Etc. have value to the right person. All 1957 Ford rear ends are 9" units.  It will live for a long time behind your 351 unless you are building a monster or are planning to drag race.  The yokes are smaller on the earlier cars.  You can change the yoke to the larger size if you want, but you'll need to re-setup the differential unless you like humming sounds...  The small yokes came on HiPo Mustangs and they were pretty stout.

hogwagon

Transmission is still hanging in the car as it seemed easier to take it out after the engine was out so will have to clean it up to see what it actually is. thanks for the input on the driveshaft yokes. No drag racing as the car is to tow a vintage 16' RV trailer occasionally. I had a big block Dodge that I had to put some large HD parts in to keep alive and lost a front U joint on cool evening at speed. Very exciting and not to be experienced again so I tend to get a little safety conscience at times.

Ford_Crazy

If you have a T-85 it will be clearly marked Borg Warner T-85 on the tail housing.  It will be a case iron unit with the cover on the side. It looks like a T-10 four speed (which they made out of the T-85).  My guess is that you have a standard Ford O/D transmission.  It's probably worth about $250-$300 to the right person if in good condition.  Have fun...

hogwagon

I will take a closer look and you have me thinking now as I ran a T10 in a GM car a long time ago and it was one tough trans. How is this trans with OD behind a later model small block (302-351) as far as drive ability and towing or am I a lot better off with a floor shift T5. Our plans are to upgrade the car mostly for ease of drive ability with better steering brakes and shocks.

Ford_Crazy

The T-5 is a much better transmission.  It's a modern overdrive with a good low gear to get the car moving and a extra gear for high speed cruising.  Also, your gas mileage will be much better with the T-5. The T-85 only has value to someone who wants the originality of a three speed.  They were very tough and durable in their day, but nothing compared to a modern 5 speed.   I have a T-10 in my Custom, but that's just for nostalgia reasons. The T-5 is the way to go behind a small block.

hogwagon

Update on the trans, after about 5 pounds of dirt I found the numbers cast in it. Shows T85 and is a top loader that weighs a ton. I didn't pull the top off and ck anything yet as the day was taken up on other stuff.  Neighbor kid has a Borg Warner 5 speed out of a turbo 4 cly T Bird with bellhousing and clutch. I didn't get any numbers or I.D. markings yet. I am curious if the trans itself is the same as 8 cly cars. I read a post on here about front fender splash panels so took a light up into the fenders. There was so much dirt up there I filled a couple of big flower pots but no holes. I can't believe the car ever saw salt. Not perfect but a lot better than I expected. So far I am still pretty happy with what I bought as I sure have been bit harder before.

Ford_Crazy

The Borg Warner T-85 Heavy duty overdrive overdrive transmission was a side loader.  I believe what you have there is a Ford standard overdrive transmission.  It will never hold up behind any kind of horsepower.  We used to break them all the time behind stock Y-Blocks. In the sixties, we used to buy them for $20 a piece.  Went through about a dozen until I found a T-85. Never-the-less, all the early overdrive trannys are getting rare and have some value.  The T-5 is the way to go behind a modern small block.  Have fun!

hogwagon

Ford Crazy You are correct as I wire wheeled the casting numbers it is a T 86 number. As heavy as this thing is I thought it might be a heavy duty piece. Thanks for the info. Still waiting on neighbors kid to see what he wants to do with the 5 speed in Dads garage. Will a pickup truck 351-5 speed 2 wheel drive parts vehicle net enough on the transmission side to be worth pursuing?

hogwagon

After reviewing the condition of what we have for a driveline and listening to what you have been kind enough to share as far as an upgrade we put out some feelers and a friend has a son with a rolled 96 Mustang and a loss of drivers licence. The car is a 5.0L 5 speed. I haven't seen it yet but am trying to find out what to look for, how much can I use. Since its rolled I can't believe the basic structure or sheet metal are a concern. Any ideas/input much appreciated.

RICH MUISE

Jon...if you scroll thru the older engine swap section you'll find a lot of info and opinions on the 5.0 swap. You might also check the threads re: 4.6dohc and 4.6 vs. 5.0 swaps.   Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe