News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

460 swap in country sedan (motor mounts)

Started by 57country, 2011-03-09 22:01

Previous topic - Next topic

57country

hello. new to forum have been browising for a while and love the info. I know i read a similar post to my question but was looking for some other info...figured I'd start a new one. First off I'm new to old cars. green as grass lol. getting a 460 and figured I'd do the swap..why not right? my question is about motor and tranny mounts. i know of 3 company's that make the parts i need just looking for a review basically. I cant make my own mounts no welder/experience with fabricating so in the intrest of time i need bolt in. I've read good and bad on crites kits. they seem to take a long time and seem to give people the run around. the other company was dear burn classic...haven't read of anyone with this kit. last was gear head cruiser product. they seem expensive and have read horror stories about their steering box kit. any experience with this company and their other products?    thank you very much for your help and please excuse my limited knowledge on the subject...tried reading as much as i could before posting.  i am a mechanic by the way but am much better with newer cars. (5 years in...still green but if you need help with newer stuff I'll try my best to contribute)

shopratwoody

Welcome to the club :006:
I had good service from Crites and happy with their product.
I used FPA headers for more ground clearance.
Hope this helps.
I hate blocksanding!

57country

Thanks for the welcome and advice!  ps since i'm  swaping out my 312 with 3spd its avaliable if anyone wants it...i'm on li in ny

rmk57

I didn't use their mounts but did use their headers and they fit pretty good. tight around steering box but thats to be expected, 460 is a pretty big big chunk of iron. All the other
small stuff takes time and some fabricating skill to, trans linkage, cooler lines, throttle linkage, cooling system, exhaust system, driveshaft,...........and more. This what made for motor
mounts,the trans mount is finished with all the e-brake hardware welded on. Good luck Randy
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

57country

Lgcustom

I used the Crites mounts and headers. They fit well, but the header collectors come out aimed right at the trans crossmember. I had to cut notches in both sides to get the exhaust pipes(3" dia.) through. Also you'll need an offset oil filter mount to clear the headers. I got mine from a van.
The headers hang low, so speed bumps are NOT your friend. The guys who are using the FPA shorties don't have this problem. Clearance to the stock steering box is close but OK. I installed a 587 power steering box from ABS Brakes and there is even more clearance.

Larry

57country

they seen like the way to go. placed my order today...hope get them and get the motor in for the summer. thanks to alll for the help and advice

shopratwoody

I'd use the FPA shorties unless the car is jacked up.
I've had them both ways :003:
I hate blocksanding!

F570RD

bossguy

These are the 74 - 87 F250 460 mounts my son and I used to put the 429 in his 59 Edsel wagon. They originally placed the oil pan below the crossmember and the lower mount stud was too close to the frame mount and the nut wouldn't go on. He picked up a couple of the approx 1/4 " galvanized bearing plates from Lowes deck dept. They raised the engine enough to allow the nuts to fit. The third pic shows clearence over stock 59 air filter and hood. Please note the 59 Edsel hood hinges are on the firewall vs hood latch on firewall of 59 fords. #1 sparkplug is approx in line with forward upper a arm attaching bolt.

Ford Blue blood

Bossguy what are you using for steering?
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

bossguy

The ABS brake booster arrived last nite. Steering wise we still haven't decided between wildhogs rack and pinion, ABS bolt in box or Borgesons P/s box. Borgesons is the cheapest but I'm not a big fan of steel welded to cast iron adapters. ABS says theirs is not welded which makes me curious as to the origin of the box. The R&P is from a much lighter car. I'm still doing research on it.

Lgcustom

I know this is an old topic, but Bossguy if you're still out there, what did you use for cooling and how was the clearance to the radiator?

gasman826

radiator to water pump clearance is an issue.  Plenty of room except for a fan.  Check out 429 shorter water pump setup.  Mine is custom core support, custom radiator,  Cooling Components electric fans and shroud, Dakota Digital fan controller.

rmk57

If you can find one use the C8SE water pump. They came on 68-69 Thunderbirds and also Boss 429 Mustangs. My core support is trimmed for a bigger aftermarket radiator and also for a fan clutch. The fan is from E-250 Ford van, slightly over 19 inches. Mine doesn't seem to need any other electric fans, shrouds, etc. It's simple and it works, never gets over 185 degrees. Forgot to mention I have around 5/8"- 3/4" clearance.

Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429