News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Vibration Dampner for 292

Started by TexasFordGuy, 2011-03-21 19:34

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasFordGuy

I have a 292 that I want to start up but the vibration dampener is in 2 pieces.  I am not really sure what shape the motor is in but I was told it has 63K on it. I am not sure I want to buy a new one online till I know if the engine is in decent condition.

Would it hurt it to start it up with out replacing it? 

Any suggestion on starting up a motor that has sat for some period of time?
1957 Club Victoria (63B)
1955 F100

Ford Blue blood

Not sure what you hope to accomplish by starting it up.  Won't hurt it to start and idle it but that won't tell you much.  Need to roll that boy over on it's back and have a look at the bearings, timing chain, lifters and cam.  That will tell you more then running it for a few minutes.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

TexasFordGuy

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2011-03-21 22:13
Not sure what you hope to accomplish by starting it up.  Won't hurt it to start and idle it but that won't tell you much.  Need to roll that boy over on it's back and have a look at the bearings, timing chain, lifters and cam.  That will tell you more then running it for a few minutes.

Currently it looks like it is not leaking any oil, so I was hoping to do a compression test and see if it is blowing oil or water out of the exhaust. 

If I need to open it up I thought I might as well overhaul it at that point. The motor is suppose to just have 63k on it.
1957 Club Victoria (63B)
1955 F100

Frankenstein57

If you are going to spin it over, or start it, I would take the plugs out (blow out the holes good before taking the plugs out) Spray a good fogging oil, or storage oil in each cylinder prior to cranking it. This will lube up the rings and cylinder walls properly. then proceed. Mark

TexasFordGuy

Quote from: Frankenstein57 on 2011-03-22 18:57
If you are going to spin it over, or start it, I would take the plugs out (blow out the holes good before taking the plugs out) Spray a good fogging oil, or storage oil in each cylinder prior to cranking it. This will lube up the rings and cylinder walls properly. then proceed. Mark

What is a fogging oil,  and how do you spray it in the cylinders?
1957 Club Victoria (63B)
1955 F100

Zapato

I've used Marvel Mystery Oil or even ATF in the past with good results. doesn't hurt to do it a couple days ahead just in case a ring is stuck to a cylinder wall. Never tried it before but on the HAMB recently there was a lot of discussion about using plain old water pored into each cylinder to free up seized motors. If the engine has sat for a long time play it safe and assume its stuck and at the very least pour in some kind of lube and let it sit 24 hours before attempting to turn it over. You run the risk of scarring a cylinder wall if you break a ring and then it will cost you a lot more than a can of oil.

years back I remember reading an article about a guy that found, purchased and restored one of A.J.Foyt's early sprint cars. He loaded it all up went to the house to once more thank the seller who was puzzled that they hadn't loaded up the original engine. Over in some shed the complete original engine sat. When put away many years before the old boy had filled it all up with oil. Not just the crankcase but as much oil as that motor would take. When torn down for restoration it looked like a fresh motor. Not a bit of corrosion.

Take your time it will/could save you money in the long run.

Zap-
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

RICH MUISE

I might be wrong...mechanical stuff isn't my thing (yet)...but back in the days of the y blocks wouldn't 63k miles be high mileage, and probably ready for some work anyways?? very unlike the high mieage engines of the past few decades (my jeep got it's first replacement plugs at 140K, has 168K now and has never been tuned other than the plugs and occational injector cleaner.  Just a thought.  Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Frankenstein57

Zap, thanks for the comments on A.J , supertex was one of my idols growing up, the guy could drive anything. Truly one of the greatest drivers ever. As for fogging oil, its a storage oil in a can that you can spray into a cylinder for storage.It's also flammable so you can fire the engine with it in the cylinder. See in the north you put your summer toys away in the fall, and bring out the winter toys. If you don't store it properly, good luck next season. ATF is a good way to free up stuck motors,I ran straight atf in a 390 once to free up a valve. I don't think 63K should require a rebuild yet, maybe you get lucky.  Mark

alvin stadel

Rich, I think you are a little lite on the 63k for high miles on a Y-block, I grew up in west centeral So. Dak. on the edge of a Indian res. Iworked at a gas station all though high school and we did a lot of oil changes, grease jobs, { back then cars actually came from the factory with grease zerks} also done a lot of tune ups. It wasn't a big town so we knew everyone and changed the oil ect on the same cars many times. Many of these cars, Fords and brand X had close to 90k + on them.  My dad used to say when a white man  traded for a new car he wasn't real sure if he'd get to the dealership with the old one, then a Indian would buy the car and get another 75k on it using used oil.  We never though any used oil out as we always had a ready market for it. This really didn't have anything to do with 292 dampners, just non important info from days gone by. take care, Alvin

TexasFordGuy

I was thinking that 63K would be pretty moderate for millage on a Y-Block too.  I will add a little trans oil to the cylinders and turn it over a few times before adding the plugs back in and give it a try.  If all appears well, with the compression and it is not blowing smoke, I think I will run with it as is for a couple of years after changing the vibration dampener. 
1957 Club Victoria (63B)
1955 F100