News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

4 Link rear end VS Leaf Springs

Started by KnottGarage, 2011-03-29 16:22

Previous topic - Next topic

KnottGarage

I've been thinking about doing a custom 4 link setup so I can have adjustable coil overs.  Has anyone done this conversion?  Or is it even worth the time and effort?
1957 Del Rio
1958 Del Rio
1959 Ranch Wagon

Ford Blue blood

Just depends on what you want to do with the car.  If it is going to be a street cruiser with occasional blast down the tar mac then no.  Parallel leaf springs have been doing a fantastic job in more cars of different brands then you can throw a stick at in a year.  You can buy shocks that will "tune" for road conditions....but again why if you're just cruising?

If you are going to drag race with big ol slicks and need to hook up to be competetive or you need tuneability for road racing then yes the four bar and coil over will be better.

JMHO..... :003:
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Frankenstein57

I would agree, If you are just using the car for cruising its alot of work. If you are out for some standing start traction improvements that's another thing. When I got my 57 ranchero it had 14" cragars with a modest tire width, I had to pry the tire deflated out of the wheel well. My buddy is a good racecar chassis guy, he wanted to do a 4-bar so we did. I have pictures posted in the gallery, under construction. I don't know what body style you have, I have the shorter wheelbase frame, also in the wagons and 300 post sedans. To get proper top bar geometry, I had to cut away some flooring. Not a problem on rancheros, but I believe this would get into the rear seat area of a wagon or sedan. Hope this helps, Mark