News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

1958 Ford Horn Switch Button?

Started by Ford_Crazy, 2011-03-30 12:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Ford_Crazy

I have a 1958 Ford steering column and wheel in my 57 Custom.  The 58 Horn switch works differently than the 57.  The 57 steering shaft is hollow and the wire runs through the middle of the shaft.  The 58 has an external horn wire.  The contact ring is still in my 58 Column, but the little button that runs through the steering wheel is gone. I assume it has a spring of some sort to keep it from contacting the ring until you hit the horn.  I don't have a clue what this button looks like.  Does anyone out there have a picture of the 58 button that runs through the steering wheel?  Better yet, does anyone have one I can buy?   :burnout:

TexasFordGuy

This is what the 59/60 Square Birds have and my guess is if it is different from the 57 back it would be similar.

1957 Club Victoria (63B)
1955 F100

Ford_Crazy

Perfect!  Thanks for the picture. The part I am missing is the plunger and spring assembly # 15805.  Anyone know where I can buy one?

Partsman

These insulator and horn brush assy.  That is what Ford called them were also used on 59 60 61 and 62 full sized fords but they have long since been discontinued.  They hardly ever wore out.  I can only remember selling perhaps a dozen or so in the 25 years I worked for ford dealers.  The usually were dropped or lost when the steering wheel was removed.  You might try greensalescompanysales.com or 513 731 3304 they also have a toll free number if you have the part numbers.  I have a complete set of parts catalogs from Ford if you need the # let me know.  This co buys all kinds of obsolete ford parts from dealers.  We used to sell a lot of old non returnable stuff to them.
Bill

Frankenstein57

My 58 is missing it also, I've been holding off bolting the wheel on tightly till I figure it out.  Mark

TexasFordGuy

I'd give these guys at Antique Auto Supply in Arlington TX a call.  http://www.antiqueautosupply.com/ . They have been buying up old dealer parts for years. You call them, and they have to go hunt down the part in one of their warehouses, it can take a couple of hours to a day. They have tons of inventory and nothing is on a computer, but they somehow know where it is.
1957 Club Victoria (63B)
1955 F100