News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

I'M STOKKED!!!

Started by RICH MUISE, 2011-04-11 17:09

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

Zap..."believe you described it right, could have been done either way, does the clear you used so far allow paint above it?"... I wasn't aware there would be a problem painting over a clear...I'll have to check into it. I thought the majority of custom paint effects would be done over clears because of the relatively short window of time you have to clear over a basecoat.
Also, I need to do alot of practicing with the airbrush...but how's this for an idea...looking at airbrush articles, the first thing they always tell you is to practice alot on making patterns, being able to put a dot or line where you want it. I was thinking it may be helpful for a beginner like me to have a little laser light attachment on the airbrush....OK if anybody markets this and makes a million off the idea, I'd really like a new Ford crate engine for the concept. lol Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Zapato

Rich, I'm not a painter so  remember that, but I've had the opportunity to attend a couple of seminars at one of the community colleges put on by giants of the paint world. And also have a couple of friends that are really good and if they wanted to do it full time would never get a day off.  my understanding is that there are some clears that are specifically made to go between layers of paint. Called I believe ''intra'' clears. Some strictly topcoat, and probably I'm guessing that allow both. I'd go back to your MSDS sheets and any product info you got with your clear and see what it says and if it doesn't answer the question call the manufacturer.

I found about the intra clears when a friend was painting a speed boat with an incredible checker board pattern as a background and every layer was covered with clear. He started with a white background,then clear,black squares,clear, shading on white,clear,shading on black,clear,and on and on probably 40-50 different steps. alternating with the design and clear.and the finish clear was different from the rest.

But not being a painter myself, I'm not sure f that was a personal preference or a necessity. But when I went to the seminar with House of Kolors they finished the evening by painting a golf cart and he did use 2 different clears.There surely has to be a painter on this site that hopefully will chime in.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

Zapato

Quote from: 57AGIN on 2011-06-14 13:37
Rich:

Here are a couple of "flamed" 57's from Southern Calif.

Bob
57 AGIN

Perfect pair of flame examples, showing two different approaches. First one has the flames starting part way into the hood really a panel  paint job gone ''HOT''. The second example is my personal preferred style. Flames fully engulfing the front rolling out of the grille and wheel wells. So that a straight on shot only shows the flame color.

Haven't gone to the SoCalCarCulture.com site for years if its still online there are hundreds of flamed cars to check out for inspiration.

Zapato

shopratwoody

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2011-06-14 23:24

Rich,
The guy that cut my glass for me said anything other that stock was illegal. I really didn't question
him :003:
I hate blocksanding!

RICH MUISE

It's been in triple digits for the better part of 2 or 3 weeks now..really slowing this old man down. I blocked out my hood yesterday outside. The thermometer pic was of it sitting on my hood for 20 minutes while I worked on it....also pic of the first fender after buffing. The paint is a good 3 footer since I got a lot of small black s..t in the clearcoat..not sure where it came from (other than the not having a spraybooth). I used the same gun for the PPG Acrylic sealer as the base and clear....may be coming from the sealer. Next piece (the hood), I'll use a different gun for the sealer after a disassemble and thorough cleaning of both guns. Not sure if I'm going to repaint the fender or not..I may play with trying to "dig" out the black stuff with an exacto knife, then filling the void with clearcoat and an artist brush..and see if I can get it to disappear with blocking and buffing.
Also a problem I've been fighting with the weather...This is the 3rd worst drought in N. Texas on record...Dry is great for painting..but it'd really hard keeping everything clean with so much dust and silt in the air..almost imposible to paint on a windy day..and the wind always blows in Texas.

RICH MUISE

Also...we were talking about flames and the detailing needed for a good flame job. Went to a small show in Oklahoma Saturday and got to take some close ups of a well done flame job...sprayed outline pinstripes, highlights, shading....just tons of airbrushing techniques.

Zapato

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2011-06-20 06:42
..and the wind always blows in Texas.

Sounds to me that old barb wire fence up there by the Canadian border must have blown down agin.

Zapato

Frankenstein57

Rich, wish we could send you some rain, it's raining buckets up here. Hope all those fires are no where near you and yours.  Mark

RICH MUISE

Good day yesterday...a nice balmy mid 90's and we actually got some rain for a few hours late last night.
I got my hood finished..seems like 9 yares ago I was asking about the best way to mold in a hood scoop. That's my wife in the first pic.  hmmm can't locate pics in computer..used a different camera..I'll get back with pics

RICH MUISE

This just might be really cool...I saw an image of an eagle today that got me thinking if I decide not to do the flame job, I just might do an eagle each side like the one in the pic on the shirt. It would be big...window to rocker..mostly on the door. (Maybe I could do him with Obama in one claw). I mean it's "baseball, hotdogs,apple pie and FORD" Right?

Lono

Sorry Rich but those tail lights just dont work, I think they would be best on an old family wagon. I'd bettree send you some replacements.  :003:
It's looking beautiful my friend.
\\\"I refuse to buy another project....is that car for sale?\\\"

Zapato

that eagle reminds me of a whole lot of vans,vegas,trucks done back in the 70s. all those bi-centennial vehicles. adding "O" would date your car. personally think you've seen your car flamed too long to settle for an eagle. lets wait and see where you go with this.

Zapato

RICH MUISE

James..here's some more pics..dug the front inner stuff out of dirty storage..I had painted 2 or 3 years ago when I had planned on the car being Torch Red...wanted to see how the fender wells looked with the dark silver...and I don't think it's real great, but since I've got the under side of the car painted in red as well as the control arms...I'm going to live with it.
I still have one door to paint, and the nose piece and splash pan...the later being another post subject. I'm still being slowed down drastically by the weather...and baseball season doesn't help either! lol Rich

Ford Blue blood

Rich that might just look good with the inside of the fender, core support and the lower half of the fire wall red!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

JPotter57

Im partial to red anyway.  I had considered going back with grey inside my Custom, but I keep looking at the dash that is already red with that white, and it just looks right. Probably going to keep it that way
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.