News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Gentlemen, moving sucks....

Started by JPotter57, 2011-04-25 12:34

Previous topic - Next topic

JPotter57

Its definitely the worst part of buying a home.  We finally have most of the household items moved, some odds and ends left.  My garage items will be the worst by far.  It is amazing how much crap one can accumulate in 5 years at a given address, lol.  I still dont have phone and internet hooked up yer, that will be tomorrow.  I am trying to keep up with this site via Android, so forgive any spelling issues I may have.  Hopefully, this move will be completed by the weekend, so I can get back to finishing the drywall in the master bedroom.  Once that is complete, I can jump back on the Ford.  This will ne the first time since I have owned it, that it will be in a realhonest to goodness garage, not carport with open sides.  Cant wait.....
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Ford Blue blood

James know exactly what you are going through!  The only good part of moving is it gives you a chance to touch stuff you have long forgotten about.  After being in Va Beach for 12 years the Navy moved me to TN (our thought to be "live happily ever after" place).  In preps for that move I hauled six long bed F150 loads of "stuff" to the land fill and a junk yard I did business with all the time.  Still had 6000 lbs of house hold goods and 7500 lbs of non-household good (car parts, engines, a 40 Ford frame), you get the picture.  But let me say this...it is all worth the effort!  The wife is happy, the car is happy and you have a bunch of new/old stuff to play with.

Good luck and congratulations on the new house!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Zapato

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2011-04-25 14:48
  The only good part of moving is it gives you a chance to touch stuff you have long forgotten about.  But let me say this...it is all worth the effort! 

Couldn't agree more.when I packed for my last move after 23 years in the old house I found stuff put away in the garage that I had completely forgotten about. I'm still sorting some stuff out and again its just like Christmas morning every time I open up another box. Another bonus is that you get to set up your work area the way you want and not with the limitations passed on by the last owner. Good luck and enjoy!

Zap- :unitedstates:

Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

shopratwoody

I always thought the garage part was fun, after it was moved :005:
I hate blocksanding!

cool57

James, I couldn't agree more. But the bright side is your new garage! (said out loud in Bob Barker's voice :003:)

JPotter57

The garage part will be awesome, plus my house is about 1000 feet from the road.  Its a dirt driveway now, but later, I may try to get some kind of surfacing done, maybe tar and chip, sort of a poor mans asphalt.  Those of you who live in the country know what Im talking about.  There is one section about 100 feet long or so that is concrete, with a culvert for drainage.  This tells me that there may be some small amount of flooding of the low part of my driveway.  Now tell me that a nearly 1/4 mile driveway wouldnt be cool, lol....wish i had the coin to completely concrete it...I'd have the best hooking driveway in the south.
Old, loud, and fast.

shopratwoody

James,
After you do the asphalt the cement will be the launch pad :burnout:
I hate blocksanding!

Ford Blue blood

Just mark off 1/8th of a mile and have a party every Friday  night  :003: .
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

Zapato

From personal experience the longer the driveway the more time you'll spend maintaining it. Till you hit the jackpot if its available in your area used crushed concrete it packs down better than gravel and the water still drains thru it. and you can always top it off with some gravel for appearance even though the concrete doesn't look all that bad. Run a compactor over it and will hold up quite well. In my area crushed concrete goes for around $8-11 a yard and there is nothing else cheaper. And believe it or not you'll drag or blow in a lot less dirt into the house than either a dirt or gravel path.

Almost forgot, don't know if this is your first time living in the country. Most of your neighbors will be nice but you will find the odd ones out there even odder than city folks. They're the guys that can't get along with anyone so they buy themselves a 5 acre patch of land and set themselves up as feudal lords. And at times will try to impose themselves on everyone. Hopefully you won't have any of them withing spitting distance, if you do you'll just learn to ignore them. I have one of those down the road from me and after 5 years he has just started waving back to me as I drive by. Has never responded at all to any of my other neighbors. Mostly just glares.
Zapato

JPotter57

Ive lived in the country all my life.  When I was living in Tennessee, it was more country than here, everything was agricultural land there.  The reason I love the country is because I hate the city so much, lol.  If I never had to go into town that would be ok with me, save the occasional car show, or cruise.  Thats good information about the crushed concrete, I'd never thought about that.
I do have an excellent neighbor on one side of me.  My first day wandering about the property, he came over, introduced himself, and then offered to bush hog the entire property (3 ac) for free.  He also offered to come back over this week and use his tractor to pull up a bunch of hedge bushes that are growing wild everywhere.  He's a great guy.  Now my neighbor to the south, he is a jerk, making sure to come over in the middle of the night while we were asleep and drive a stake in the groud at the property line and paint it bright red so we would know where his property starts (I guess he didnt like my kids playing to close to his place while they were in their own bamboo patch..)  Some people  :rolleyes:
Old, loud, and fast.

Zapato

sounds like you got one of each, just as I've always found. one the salt of the earth the other someone that if you see them on your deathbed it would be too soon.

Zapato

Ford Blue blood

James I'm with you on the country thing.  Born and raised on a farm, had to live in towns during my Navy carrier, now have three acres on a dead end street, only one close neighbor who is an older motor head.

Now if you want country try being a Yankee in Covington, TN!  Old country, old money and old attitudes!  Not like we sat on the front poarch and drank beer and threw the empties in the road....I worked building houses with Habitat for Humanity and the wife was in the school system with special needs children.  Phone never rang except for business and when we met new folks their responce was "Oh, you're not from around here" and that was it.  Job opportunity came up in Birmingham and we jumped on it.  Completely different experiance living here compared to Covington.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero