News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

trunk lock question

Started by burns, 2011-05-11 05:55

Previous topic - Next topic

burns

I need to remove the trunk lock from the chrome bezel that has the little flip up lock cover that bolts through the trunk lid. it wasn't on the car when I bought it, just a piece of wire was strung through the lock hole to open it?? I don't have the key though? any ideas??

RICH MUISE

Burns...I believe they are making repop assemblies , you might look at Concourse or classicautoparts, or some of the others listed in the links section. I am not sure if those include the "tailpiece" that is on the backside of the key cylinder, which is the part I'm assuming your trying to remove. It's tha tailpeice that is probably broken and the reason the lock wasn't functioning. That was the problem with mine at least.You might check with Lou since you're meeting him anyways to see if he has a cylinder with a good tailpiece. Also check your bezel assembly to see if the lock retainer is still there. There is a pic of it already posted in the wanted section on this website just a month or so ago.
when you reassemble it to the trunk lid, a plumber's basin wrench will work to get to the nut deep inside the hole. To make your car secure until you find the components you need, you can run a rope from the trunk release where the wire is now attached, thru the large baseball size hole on the inside of the trunklid, into the interior of the car. I had put a block of wood across that large hole with a hole drilled in it to guide the rope without scraping the edge of the hole. It worked so nifty, when I reassemble my car I'll do a permanent cable release. hope this helps, but I probably told you everthing but what you needed to know...which is how do you remove the key cylinder fronm the housing..I don't know...but a locksmith would probably have it out in about a minute.   Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

burns

I have attached a couple pictures of how the lock is situated in the bezel. do you think a lock smith can get it to work rather than me trying to remove it?

Ford Blue blood

Take it to a lock smith, he can cut a new key.  If it is stock to the car and you have the glove box it has the same key as the trunk.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

That is different than mine...forgot yours wasn't a custom, but still, I think there should be a lever attached to the back of that cylinder that would hook up to the release lever. If that lever is broken off, as it looks like it may be in the pic, a working key still won't do you any good. I don't know if it's a seperate piece on yours, or part of the cylinder casting.  Some of the fairlane owners may be able to give you more info.Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

Look at the top of the housing the lock is in.  There should be a small slot with a little tab in it.  With a key you can turn the cylinder and depress the tab to pull the lock cylinder out of the housing.  There is a small rod that goes in the hole at the back of the lock assembly, that rod connects to the release that currently has the wire on it.  Does this make sense?
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

burns

it kinda makes sense? I took it to a locksmith yesterday so we will see what they can do. my biggest concern is the locksmith is half the age of the car!! I will touch base when I get it back, thanks for the help guys!!

burns

the fellow did a stand up job! to my surprise he called me yesterday afternoon and said he had picked the lock, reset the tumblers and made two new keys to fit. total cost was $30 bucks. I will hopefully get the lock installed on the weekend and make sure all works well.

oldgasser

Hello Burns:
I see you are working on a 57 Meteor trunk lock I may be able to help if in fact your locksmith did'nt get it to work properly for I have a 57 lock assembly that I could refer to if needed.
Ron.