News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

general, 57 Fairlane town sedan - Gasoline

Started by zetterberg, 2011-05-19 16:42

Previous topic - Next topic

zetterberg

My manual says with the 312 to run premium gas only.  Is this still relevant today with our gasoline.  Right now we are paying $5.60 a gallon, getting expensive to cruise. Do I need to stick with the premium blend or can I try the regular gas?

Lou

It depends on how you set your timming, Factory is +10*, I like +14* but I get better milage, but now the extra cost of hightest is not offset by the better milage. When 57 Fords were just used cars I ran regular without any problems, but that was leaded gas so only thing I can say is try regular if it pings go up a grade or retard the timming.

zetterberg

my manual says the timing for a v8 with fordomatic should be set at 6* :canada:

Lou

You are correct, I just checked my books. but as I said I used to add 3*or 4* and run unleaded high test, I picked up about 3 mpg but with todays price spread between regular and high test it wouldn't offset the extra money for the high test. It was fun though, step on the gas in any gear above 2500 rpm and the car would take off like a rocket.

zetterberg

ptwood

On my 57 fairlane 500 with 292 I get 15-16 MPG.. how does that compare to anyone who read this.
I use premium, not sure if it is needed or not, and I am not familiar enough on adjusting timing etc to change anything
just curious and the MPG does not seem to vary... city or hwy pretty much the same.. would be nice if I could get it us a few notches
thx
Peter