News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Wurth steering rack installation, is this right?

Started by Limey57, 2011-06-22 06:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Limey57

My 57 Ranchero has the Wurth steering rack conversion and the one thing that bothers me is that on the drivers side the rack protrudes from the edge of the chassis rail, reducing the amount of lock on the steering as the tyre will foul the rack.  Is this normal?  The rack seems to be installed okay, I'm just concerned at the amount it sticks out (see picture below)?

Gary

1957 Ranchero

RICH MUISE

Gary...have you tried contacting Rick Wurthit? I don't know if he has been able to get his business back up and running on a normal basis, but an occational check of his website (www.wurthitdesigns.com) shows updates, so I have to assume he is making progress. I did look at his rack install on the website, but there were no pics that I could see of the protrusion you're showing in your photo. I just bought yellowwagon's rack set up..will be in the crate for a while yet...so I don't know if I'll be looking at the same situation.
Let us know if you were able to get a response from Wurthit and what it was.  Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Limey57

I'll give him a try, but I tried contacting him a while ago when I wasn't sure on column set-ups & got no response.  I'll try him again and see what happens.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

Limey57

Hot Rod magazine did a feature on another of their conversions and the rack seems to stick out the same:

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/hrdp_0705_rack_and_pinion_steering/photo_16.html
Gary

1957 Ranchero

Frankenstein57

Gary, if you look at my homemade installation on page three in the gallery, under construction. I made a comment about this, I believe the offset was so the steering column clears the headers. On the rack install we tried but didn't have an option. Mark

KidKourier

Gary, I've got Wildhogs rack installed on my '57 Courier,I went to it because Wurth kept flaking on me but I had pictures  of both and there was very little differance between them.If I remember right both use a '84-91 chevy cavalier rack--mine is the 3 1/4 turn stop to stop and I find it a little quick for my taste,i've also lost a little turning radius(couldn't turn a circle in the street curb to curb without it being a 3 pointer).Went out and measured and I've got 1 3/4" sticking out past the frame on drivers side of the rack tube,don't have any interferrence issues with tires or rims(225 x 70 x15's with TorqueThrusts 15 x 7's) KID

bagboy

Yea, mine looks like that ,.did you put stops on lower control arm  ?  Iv'e been driving my car with Ricks rack. Have you looked at my thread on HRBB for rear sway bar for 57 wagon/ grandpaws 57

Limey57

Thanks, I feel a bit better knowing its in the right place (I didn't install it)!  Where abouts do the stops fit?  Can't say I noticed any but I've been up to my ears sorting the bodywork first.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

RICH MUISE

quote:"mine is the 3 1/4 turn stop to stop"....Are there different ones available? I never checked the stock turn to turn before I disassembled the car..could someone with stock steering tell me what it is. Thanks Rich

bagboy

Just a nut welded onto l.control arm and a bolt threaded to adjust so tire does not rub rack

RICH MUISE

I guess I didn't word my question clearly. What I was wondering was what the stock steering number of turns is. Since My car is disassembled, I can't check to see what it was, and I was curious how much the R & P I will be installing was going to change that.  Rich