News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

ABS Saginaw Steering Conversion

Started by Lgcustom, 2011-07-29 20:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Lgcustom

Guys,

I have installed the ABS Saginaw power steering box kit with Saginaw pump. I now have an evil handling bitch! The on center steering seems loose and on long sweeping turns, it seems to be hunting and is very unnerving. The steering is very light and seems over assisted. Is there a restrictor that would help this? In fairness, I haven't talked with ABS about this yet. I rebuilt the entire suspension and a competent shop aligned it during the build process. I have about 1500 miles on it since then. Your expert help is very needed!

Larry

Ford Blue blood

Check you pulley size.  A larger pulley on the pump or smaller on the crank to slow the pump down.  Find out what the stock pulley ratio was and go to that.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

57chero

I bought the abs box for my ranchero   back in 07 and just now got it on the road for the first time, sounds like pretty much the same setup as yours all new front supension no problems at the line up shop, saginaw p/s pump . The only problem I had was that it felt a little sticky when I would turn ,it wouldnt do it  when the car was jacked up only on the road.So I called abs he asked what kind of p/s fluid I was using I told him a generic brand , he told me to suck it out and put dexron tranny fluid in work the wheels back and forth off the ground then take it for a drive, it worked goes straight down the road turns nice and fills like it should, he also said if it was wasnt working right to send it back and he would send me a new one.

Lgcustom

Thanks guys. I'll try your suggestions.

Larry