News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

rusted valve

Started by JimNolan, 2011-09-21 16:22

Previous topic - Next topic

F570RD

"I used the name James Potter" You old guy's are funny.

JPotter57

lol...old?  Hey, who are you calling old?
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

JimNolan

F57ORD,
  You didn't think I would let the "OLD" comment get by so easily did you. I've been down the 1/4mile 13 times now and my reaction times varied from -.002 to .228. The .228 I got while I was reading a newpaper waiting on the third yellow light to come on at Edgewater. Now, how old is that. Jim LOL PS It was an artical on Geritol.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

JimNolan

You tell him James, I'm so mad I can't. LOL

RICH MUISE

Quote from: F570RD on 2011-09-23 19:25
"I used the name James Potter" You old guy's are funny.
Yeah, but the really funny part is that when I joined a Chebby website because my son is wanting to build a '69 Impala (?), I used the name Jim Nolan.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

JPotter57

Old, loud, and fast.

shopratwoody

Don't know about old, but I was 16 when my 57 was new :003:
I hate blocksanding!

JimNolan

Back to serious. What would be good to put in the oil to help get rid of the residue in the valve guides. Also what would you put in the gas tank. I've already bought 5W-20 oil to put in it at startup. James mentioned Seafoam but is that just for storage or do you use it for a running motor. Jim

Frankenstein57

I've used it on both storage, and as an additive to help fix a fuel system problem. Yes I guess ok for running engines. Mark

JimNolan

Update,
   I got the engine back together on the 63 Galaxie, ran great. I set the carb and timing and got 15 inches manifold pressure at 600 rpm. That's two more inches manifold pressure than when I first put it together. Don't know why. Anyway, drove it around the block, came back and oil was leaking out of the front cork seal of the intake. Cork seal slid out of alignment during assembly. Tore it all down, started over. Used trim adhesive to cement cork to block before I try to put the intake on. I'm not upset that I didn't see the gasket was out before I assembled it. Doesn't bother me at all. I enjoy doing things twice. In fact,  I'm getting used to it. But, I am taking my 38 with me tomorrow just in case it leaks again. Jim
   PS. I called my painter and told him what happened to my engine while it sat at his place waiting for him to paint the car. I told him I didn't blame him a bit for the rust on the valves or the valves seizing in the guides. I told him I blamed myself for being stupid enough to let him jerk me around for two years to begin with.

Frankenstein57

Many racers use rtv or some kind of silicone on chevy smallblocks, instead of the cork gaskets on each end. Don't know if it would work on a ford FE engine.  Mark

JimNolan

Edelbrock suggests the RTV instead of cork on their intakes. But this is a vintage 63 aluminum 427 intake. The Ford books I have show cork being used with RTV on the corners and water passages of the intake. Jim

Frankenstein57

Ah yes, its all coming back to me. Its been a long time since I bolted an intake on an FE. Scarcity of good FE parts caused me to switch to brand X for racing in 81. Forgive me father for I have sinned.Mark

JimNolan

This may be heresy but I'm not into brand fanaticism. Most of the Chevy people I know are. The reception I get at the drag strip as well as the car shows by most people is favoritable. It's not uncommon for me to tell a chevy owner how nice his car is at a show. But that same guy wouldn't say anything favoritable about my car if his life depended on it.
  Most Ford people I know sink money into a car because they like that car, not because everyone else has one. The tri-five chevy's will bring more money and are more sought after than the 57 Fords because they have a bigger FOLLOWING. The key word is FOLLOWING in the previous sentence and I've never been a follower. Besides that, the only time you see a tri-five chevy is at a car show. If you didn't go to car shows you wouldn't know they existed. I know I sure as hell wouldn't hold my breath until a tri-five chevy pulled up beside me on the street. Jim

JPotter57

I've said it before, I'll say it again: I prefer Fords, and would choose one overany GM most of the time, but I do like me a '61 Impala bubbletop....I can pretty much guarantee I wont ever have one though, as most Chevrolet owners seem to think that their mass produced automobile is a one of one built and price it accordingly.  I dont see me ever paying the kind of money these clowns are asking for their junk.
Old, loud, and fast.