News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Frame differences?

Started by Zapato, 2011-09-26 21:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Zapato

Any difference between a 57 Custom frame and a wagon frame?

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

Hoosier Hurricane

Zap:
They have different part numbers.  SD, SW, Ranchero have the same frame.
John

RICH MUISE

Zap...If this old brain remembers correctly,the major differences come in the rear portion behind the axel hump...crossmembers are different. I don't know if the mounting body points are different. One of the suppliers..either Dennis Carpenter or Concourse, had pics of the different frames in the front of the catalog at one time...maybe they still do.
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Frankenstein57

I believe that is correct, I was looking at frame options for my brothers ranchero. The difference from the ranchero to the wagon is the shock cross member. I'm not sure which frame is under the 300. Try John Gambils 57 site, I think that is where I got the info. By the way, I cut that car up due to to much midwest winters. Mark

Zapato

Thanks, went to 57ford.com and he has frame drawings looks like the only difference is the shock mount cross member. Would be nice to see a frame drawing like alignment shops use with dimensioning.

Zap- :unitedstates: :burnout:
Zapato

rmk57

I'm sure the 1957 ford shop car manual has all the photos along with measurements and reference points for straightening.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

Hoosier Hurricane

The rear spring hangers are different.  The passenger hangers are U shaped and hang below the frame side members.  The Ranchero hangers are outrigger type castings or forgings and the spring does not hang under the frame side members.  That indicates that the frame is narrower at the back crossmember.

Frankenstein57

Actually that's wrong, my 57 & 58 ranchero's have the curled steel brackets and spring directly below the frame. The frames are the same, just a different shock cross member. Mark

hogwagon

We just ordered a conversion engine mount kit from Butch's Cool Stuff and a different kit is sold for 6 Cly cars and Ranchero, station wagon, panel wagon. I was told by Butch that this places the engine slightly higher and back. A different kit is sold for original V8 cars. The front cross member may have something different? The mount kit is on its way so I will have to report back on what I find. Butch's is listed as a vendor on this site with pictures of the kits. A front sump oil pan is required and I still do not have one yet but may place the engine temp in place for a look without a pan.

Hoosier Hurricane

Mark:

You are right.  I had forgotten that I had a retractable frame under my Ranchero.  The retractable frame had the outriggers.  Excuse me.

John

RICH MUISE

Jon...that's really strange..different mounts depending on what it originally had from the factory.
John..now that's really strange also....didn't the Ranchero use the shorter wheelbase (custom) frame and the retrac the longer (Fairlane) one? Was it shortened to fit under the Ranchero?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Zapato

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2011-09-29 06:31
Jon...that's really strange..different mounts depending on what it originally had from the factory.
John..now that's really strange also....didn't the Ranchero use the shorter wheelbase (custom) frame and the retrac the longer (Fairlane) one? Was it shortened to fit under the Ranchero?

Exactly what I was thinking! and wondering..................

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Lou

All frames are shown in the "1957 FORD service specifications for car & truck" booklet. (There are two printing of this booklet early goes not show retrackable.)

hogwagon

Engine and trans mount kit from Butch's arrived at the business address today and looks like nice stuff. I called Butch and asked if I have the right part number explaining that this car had a v8 before I grease up the new stuff and was reassured if it is a wagon or Ranchero it is correct. Printed catalog came with the parts says same thing. If Sunday gives me a break I plan to test fit. This is not my first old car but is my first 50's Ford so I am a little blind here. If someone can think of a measurement needed while I have the engine in the air let me know

Hoosier Hurricane

Zap and Rich:

The rear axle was moved forward 2".  The rear of the frame was also reworked so that the Ranchero bumper brackets would fit.

John