News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Auto city classic Disc Brake Kit

Started by Alex L., 2012-01-05 15:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Ford Blue blood

Is that booster an 8" dual or a 7" dual?  Rich, you might take a look at the system used on the 90s Thunderbird Super Coupe.  It is a fairly compact unit, has two pressure switches and two relays, an accumulator, a pump and of course the master cylinder.  Have not priced any of it out, just remeber it was nice and compact in my 90 SC.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

I'll see if I can find some info. I assume it is different than the non-super coupe Birds.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

Yes, the super charger eliminated vacumn.....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

Alex L.

My car is a driver.

How does it work? It's hard to say, I didn't have a chance to check anything such as how much vacuum the engine was making and therefore I don't wish to say something which reflects on the quality of the system. It does stop, I'd say better than the original stuff. It isn't like an F1 car though.

05gt

Just out of curiousity, where did you tie in the new vacuum line for the brake booster at? Also, did the prop valve that was included seem to work ok? Is it adjustable? Thank's again for the insight on this kit. I think i'm fianlly about to pull the trigger on it!

Alex L.

It seems to work ok, I haven't had any weird brake stuff happening so I assume it is working.

Is it adjustable? I don't know, but I don't think it is. If it is adjustable it isn't obvious from the outside. I think it is essentially the same as a Granada prop valve.

I tied the vacuum into a 1/2" npt port on the intake. But I think my timing was crappy along with a poorly adjusted carb. It was also sharing a vacuum port with the line to the tranny, not sure if that makes a diff or not.

No problem, I'm happy my thread has helped someone. If you have specific install question if and when you buy it just let me know.

05gt

So I ordered the kit as well and it arrived on my door step as of yesterday. Where / how did you hook up your brake light switch? Did you use the one they provided and just tie it into one of the 2 front line ports and only run one line with a "T" fitting? Also, there's no way to hook up the plastic brake wanring switch on the top of the proportioning valve, is there? Do you happen to have  a pic of your proportioning valve all hooked up and mounted in the car? Just curious how it looks being mounted directly below the master. Thanks again!

Alex L.

I did run separate lines to each front caliper, but looking back I would just run the original style Tee fitting with the pressure switch in the other prop valve port.

I can try to get a decent picture some time soon.

Don't know about the warning switch, what's that all about? I've never been big on warning switches and things like that.

Ford Blue blood

There is a slider inside the proportioning (distribution block) valve that slides toward the failed portion of the system.  That slider closes the warning switch to illuminate a lamp on the dash board to tell you you had a problem. 

The sliders main function is to close off the failed part of the system, ie. one of the front flex line breaks, and allows the rear half of the system to work, you still have rear brakes, or vice versa.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero