News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Auto city classic Disc Brake Kit

Started by Alex L., 2012-01-05 15:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex L.

So, i bought the brake kit from auto city classic. It came with a power booster and master cylinder, proportioning valve, calipers, pads, rotors (slotted and drilled), hubs, bearings, hoses, caliper mounting brackets (ala Scarebird) and all other hardware.

Look forward to an upcoming review of the product whenever school allows me time to finish the neccessary preceeding work and get it installed.

it seems to be a pretty good deal considering the 554$ (+ shipping) cost.

Alex L.

Here are a few pictures of the parts in the kit

Alex L.

More

Alex L.

More

shopratwoody

I hate blocksanding!

RICH MUISE

Alex..thanks for posting. They only showed kits going up to '56 on their website....guess they need to update their info. Is the kit made to adapt to the stock '57 spindles, I didn't notice any spindles in the pics?
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Alex L.

Yeah, it's just like the scarebird adapters.

Those c shaped metal things are the caliper adapters for the stock spindles.

I found this kit on eBay, it is from their eBay store but if you call them they have it.

Alex L.

So, I did install this kit.

Here are a few points about the install.

The spindle and caliper bracket required a small amount of grinding to fit perfectly.

The bearings which were installed in the hubs had to be changed to the others provided.

The hoses had a bit of a hard time installing in the existing mounts on the frame.

Some instructions were a little unclear and I did a little more hardline work than I needed to.

Had to get an adapter to get the 3/16" line to the back brakes to hook up to the 1/4" flare fitting on the proportioning valve.

The master cylinder and calipers are I coated and rust if not painted before install.

Everything fit nicely and looks great. Overall it was a pretty easy install.

Anybody have any questions

RICH MUISE

Just curious if the calipers are rear inlets for the hoses, or if the hoses face frontwards like the Granada calipers requiring the hose frame brackets to be relocated to in front of the control arms?

Alex L.

The hoses mount at the back of the calipers and the hoses mount into the original frame brackets. Although the frame brackets must be ground a hair thinner to install the hoses that are provided.

05gt

So you now have power brakes, correct? Did you ned up making all new hardlines for the front, or were you able to tie everything into exsisting lines? Do you have any pics of the setup installed on the car? Looking into doing this as well, just trying to get "all of my ducks in a row" first. Thanks!!

Mark

Alex L.

I didn't need to do all new hardlines. I did some new hardlines but I actually didn't need to do any, except for concerns about existing line integrity.

No pics right now, but what pics are you looking for? I could take some.

05gt

Alex, just curious how the booster / master looked bolted to the firewall. I seen they have a bracket that bolts to the bottom of the maser that holds the proportioning valve and just wondered how it looked. Did you use this bracket, or did you mount the pro. valve somewhere hidden? Any clearance issues at all? Did the Clevis rod bolt right up without any problems? Also, you said you didn't really have to reroute any of teh hardlines. You could of just bent / moved them to fit into the new proportioning valave as opposed to running a new line?

Thank you for your help. Really want to tackle this porjecy, and like to get feedback from those who have done it!

Alex L.

I used the provided bracket, I'm way too lazy to mount the somewhere invisible. It doesn't look factory but it's not in the way or anything. It does get pretty close to the inner fender but I don't recall it posing any problem for install. The Clevis rod worked fine and the firewall mount also worked very well. It actually would have been easily possible to bend the hardlines to fit the prop valve, although that would have the two front brakes ultimately run off one port of a two front port prop valve. Don't know what difference that makes but I didn't do it that way.

I must say the install of the brake system was the most smooth of pretty much any install I have done on my car.

I think for the money it's a great system. Looks great!

RICH MUISE

Alex...sorry, can't remember if your car was a driver. Have you been able to test the system yet? I'm curious about it's performance with the booster being so small, (wondering if it'll clear a 4.6 dohc). I'm currently planning on having to use a hydroboost unit, but I hate the looks of them. I know I could go to the pricey electro unit, but it's not in the budget. A pic of the installed booster would be great.
Thanks
Rich