News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Eliminating voltage regulator

Started by Alex L., 2012-01-11 14:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex L.

So, as part of my winter long project, i will be switching to an internally regulated alternator. Which means i can be rid of the regulator which uglifies the inner fender.

My current regulator only has about three wires which are actually hooked up, which makes me wonder what i really need to do to the wiring system in order to be rid of it.

Anyone else done this before and know what i need to do?

Ford Blue blood

You can buy a regulator that bolts to the back of the old alternators or go with a later model Ford unit that has it built in.  Don't have my notes or I could tell you exactly how, just google "Ford alt" and you will find many links showing how to install.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

dgasman

I would use a Ford 3G alt they are esay to install and cheep to buy
HAPPY MOTORING
dgasman

Alex L.

That exactly what i have, i have a ford 3g from a (i think) 93 taurus in my garage. It is dimensionall identical to the old one.

Where my question really lies is about what additional hook ups i need to do in the wiring system to account for this new alternator and not having the voltage regulator. i know it is internally regulated but there may be things that the regulator supplys voltage to that need to be hooked up, or maybe there isn't i just don't know.

dgasman

That is the easy part to wire one up. I used a alt wire harness from a 2000 Ford F250 with a 5.4 L . I know I have the part # somewere but I cant find it at the moment. The harness cost around $26.00 new from Ford. There will be one round  plug on the harness with one wire that will go to the the one wire (I thinks its green) were the original volt reg is that is in the body harness not the gen harness. This wire goes to the gen light The rest of the wires go to the stater solenoid.

The Part # is 1L3Z-14305-BA . It might cost more now because when I bought mine it was back in 2007
HAPPY MOTORING
dgasman