News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

1957 312 y block ecz number matching carb runs

Started by Custom300Madman, 2012-01-19 00:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Custom300Madman

Call or text for pics 512-five-three-nine-7273. Engine and tranny are in Houston. I live in a hoa neighborhood so I would like them to go together.
1957 Ford Custom 300 Fourdoor, with factory 312 yblock

glen b henderson

I have a 460 out of a 72/73 Lincoln, but no trans. The heads have been reworked and the engine is complete, but it has been out for several years. If you don't find something closer and you are interested, give me a call @ 334-227-3004.
Freedom is not Free

Custom300Madman

Okay I will Glen. Quick question on that 460 of yours. Has the timing chain been swapped out for one from the 69-71 style?

glen b henderson

Not that I am aware of, I have had the engine for several years, but never paid much attention to it.
Freedom is not Free

Custom300Madman

JPotter57

What do you want for the 312?  I have two, dont really need it, but for the right price, I may bite.....You can never have too many 312s, lol.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Custom300Madman

The only thing is that I and the engine/trans are in Houston. 77339 is my zipcode if you wanted to look it up. I would love to keep the engine and I know some people are saying I definitely should (considering its all original).

Being in college, I have other priorities, and I live in a HOA neighborhood. My main objective is to get the car on the road. Make me an offer. It runs, but definitely needs to be hot tanked. I would be interested in a straight trade for a DOVE 460/c6 combo that ran.

-Keith

Custom300Madman

Quote from: JPotter57 on 2012-01-30 18:37
What do you want for the 312?  I have two, dont really need it, but for the right price, I may bite.....You can never have too many 312s, lol.

Hey I've found a smooth Harley, I'm going to try and raise some capital fairly quick. I'll send you a msg as well. I'm feeling very flexible on this 312, as i wouldn't mind a HD in it's place :) call or text me @ 512-five three nine-7273 and the engine is in Houston.

wv 57s forever

Custom300Madman

chiggerfarmer

I realize this thread is over a month old, but I have some DOVE 460/C6's if you haven't found one yet. One that I know is good, I drove it myself for a few years. Car went to pieces but engine still strong. One other one that I heard run but know nothing else about. I live close to Waco, that's not terribly far.
If you can\\\'t dazzle others with your brilliance, then baffle them with bullcorn

Custom300Madman

Hey Chigger, not far at all. I literally just got off the phone with a guy whose got a 460 out of a 88 ryder box truck. I'm interested in the dove block more as this 88 is FI and will need a few things changed over. What's the guy want for a combo?

gasman826

I'm sure you already know this but since it hasn't been said, I will.  The EFI 460 heads and intake will not interchange with anything carbed.  You have to change the whole top of the engine.  Not a budget build.  There is most likely no hole for a mechanical fuel pump.  So with the timing chain cover replacement, might as well change the timing set.  You know...you got the heads and intake off, pan pulled, timing cover off, R+R the timing set...hell man, might just as well put in a better cam.  Since you almost got the short blocked stripped, might as well cook it, clean it, deck, bore, hone.........just overhaul it!

It's not a bad block.  A good choice for stroker 'cause the cylinder walls are a little longer.  If you don't stroke it, it has the CJ style rods.  Balance it and ARP rod bolts should be good to 6000 RPMs plus.  600 HP would be pushing it for competion but good street engine.

Custom300Madman

Man Gasman a cheap 400 dollar 460 got real expensive real fast. Okay. I need a refresh on my 312. If I stripped it down to the bare block at home would I be able to hose and scrub it clean or should I hot tank it? It's got a ton of sludge inside.

gasman826

In the past, they 'hot tanked' a block to degrease and clean.  Now there is a process that is a little more intense that is commonly referred to as cooking.  This process dissolves lime and rust deposits that were built up in the cooling passages.  Either process is going to require replacement of plugs and cam bearings.  Considering the age and sludge buildup, I would consider it a waste of time and money not to run it through the machine shop.  With age and high mileage, most shops are going to want to bore and fit new pistons.  Back in the day when we did rings, bearings and threw in a set of gaskets...then hoped for the best are pretty much gone.  The parts are too expense to hope for the best!  I will admit that I have gotten out the mics and just polished a standard/standard crank.  But still reconditioned the rods, bored and fitted new pistons, decked, align honed, magged, sonic tested, new plugs, one piece cam bearings before you get to performance goodies.  It's is getting tough to find a clean, low mileage, carbed V8 that you can slide a cam into and top with an intake, spray a little paint on it and drop back into your car.