News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

4.6 engine swap question

Started by Frankenstein57, 2007-07-12 21:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Frankenstein57

Hey guys, I'm in a bit of a quandry. As I posted earlier , I was planning to put a 460 in my resto mod ranchero project. Well a couple of reasons why not to, got me to change . First was the lack of things like , wiring harness's, second- I don't think gas is ever going back down. When this thing is done , I'd like to be able to drive it up north or whatever, and do better than 12 mpg . So I recently harvested  a 5.0 efi engine from an 88 towncar. I snatched up the computer and engine bay wiring , emisions, ect. I would probably exchange it for a remanufacturd long block . My plan is a t5 5 speed setup from a mustang . I have been offered a 4.6 ,AOD in a late model t-Bird ,which lost a fight with a deer. This car will be very inexpensive , I read of guys using the seats and interior parts on rancheros. My problem is nobody is making a wiring harness right now for the 4.6 . Tons of stuff out there, should be a matter of time. What do you think?  thanks in advance for your input! Mark

KULTULZ

Why not use the harness from the BIRD? Specialty harnesses are available.
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

MERCURY - EDSEL - LINCOLN

Frankenstein57

Seems like the only stuff available for the ford is 5.0, sooner or later you'd think someone would recognize this engine for the hotrod crowd. Using the stock wiring looks like a major project to me. maybe I'll strip the car and figure it out later. Mark

shopratwoody

I'm almost certain you can simplfy the wireing from the aftermarket. There's a lot of EFI stuff in sreet
rods these days.
Later, Ron :004:
I hate blocksanding!

Marc

Mark, maybe these guys might have something for your 4.6:
www.autoworksracing.com

cool57

Painless Performance has wiring and also a simplified "brain" for mod motors.