News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Power Steering 3

Started by JPotter57, 2006-12-10 18:39

Previous topic - Next topic

JPotter57

fiv7ford
Site Admin

Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Power Steering ideas   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

onecool57
'57 Ford aficionado
(1/1/03 12:14 pm)
Reply Power Steering
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok here is the question agian. I've got my motor out getting ready to install my 406 dual quad four speed( sounds like that should have been the song instead of 409, right) any way I'm going to be wanting to install power sterring! One of our members sent me excellent info on installing a mid 60's gear box but it's still hard to find a good one. Also I know gerheads offers a new gear box to expensive for me. Also this summer a article in July's Hemmings Rods & Performance there was a 57 ford and he stated he installed a mid 70's Granada gear box, anyone know anything more about this installation? The Granada seems to be the parts car that fits I've installed the the power disc brakes worked great.
If anyone has info or ideas contact me directly at jarcher@castlenet.com or use this forum.

Fordnut
'57 Ford aficionado
(1/1/03 5:42 pm)
Reply Re: Power Steering
Check this months Mustangs and Ford magazine. Outfit in North Dakota has a super looking setup. Not a bolt-in, but does not look to be too complicated. Runs $770 for the kit, but is supposed to have more room than the stock unit.

smurfee49548
'57 Ford aficionado
(1/1/03 8:32 pm)
Reply power steering
check with RCSIGNALS on this page,he will be a great help -DON

RCSignals
RanchWagon57
(1/2/03 12:31 am)
ezSupporter

Re: power steering
The mustang and fords article tells about installing a power gearbox. Gives most of the details and the car in the pics is a '57 Ford

friapop
'57 Ford aficionado
(1/9/03 1:31 pm)
Reply Mustangs & Fords
Could you scan and post that article?

RCSignals
RanchWagon57
(1/10/03 2:09 am)
ezSupporter

Re: Mustangs & Fords
If I had a scanner.
I wonder if it will be put up on their web page next month?

onecool57
'57 Ford aficionado
(1/12/03 7:08 pm)
Reply Re: Mustangs & Fords
I've not been able to find a web page for them. Is there a www for them?

dragpak
'57 Ford aficionado
(1/15/03 5:33 pm)
Reply power steering
I just visited with a guy the other day and he put power rack and pinion on his 57 fairlane. He used a rack out of a 90 taurus and spindles from a mercury marquis, not sure of the year. He put the left spindle on the right and the right on the left to give him the rear stear. He used tie rod ends from a 90 bird? He said it was fairly easy to do and he's got about 350.00 bucks in it. The rack was 200 new and I'm not sure what he paid for the spindles and tie rods. He said it drives like a dream!

406Custom300
megaford_57
(1/18/03 8:28 pm)
Re: power steering
the url is www.mustangandfords.com
The article won't be up for another month or two, as it was in the January 2003 issue. I have it in front of me now. The websites of the big mags won't post the info until they are sure they can't make any money off of it anymore, lol....
"This ain't no joyride, this ain't your daddy's Oldsmobile..."
Blackie Lawless, W.A.S.P. Helldorado

Fordnut
'57 Ford aficionado
(1/19/03 5:46 am)
Reply Re: power steering
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.