News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

I need help BAD!

Started by 57 imposter, 2012-02-21 13:16

Previous topic - Next topic

57 imposter

This has probably been covered 100 times but does anyone know the proper sequence to remove the door glass. I was within minutes from taking a cutting torch to the car to get to the quarter windows before i solved that mystery and I just don't have the stomach to repeat the process on the door glass. Any help will be appreciated. I allready tried google and the best advise I got there was "break the glass" 

RICH MUISE

remove the bolts holding the glass channel brackets, so that you can spread the channel apart at the lower end and get the glass out of the channel. rotate the glass after that so the long ways is up and down...you should be able to get it right out thru the window opening at that point. I can't remember if the regulator had to also be removed first but I doubt it, and the bottom glass channel may have some hardware attached that needs to be removed...but after it's unclipped from the regulator and out of the glass channel, you can lower the glass to the opening on the inside door panel to get to it. don't loose those bolts..they are 12-28's if I remember and really hard to find. (I tapped the bracket nuts out to 1/4-20 and replaced the screws with 1/4-20 stainless)
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Zapato

Yup! What he said is right on all counts

zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

57 imposter

Thanks guys, I'll go at it with a new positive attitude in the morning.

57 imposter

Rich........Took your advise and with a little more head scratching got the first one out in about a half an hour. the second one didn't take ten minutes. I can't even imagine what goes into designing those things. They go in and out one way and that's it. This may not be news to anyone but me, but, I think I found perfect fit, lined, divider bar stock. the felt in mine is really shot and I could find no one who was offering replacements so I was pretty happy to come up with this stuff. If I am not the only one who didn't know about this product, I'll make sure it works and pass the info on.

Zapato

Only place I've ever found window felt is at a glass shop, never been refused a purchase.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

RICH MUISE

imposter....I guess I'm not sure what you are calling divider bar stock. I think you are talking about the glass channel, and if you are it is available in either straight, 'form-your-own', lengths, or preformed and bent ready to install. we did some detailed posts on this project a year or two back. If this is what you are refering to, search for the posts or let us know if you need help finding it
Rich
P.S. revision....I got my straight,flexible, sticks and ready to install rigid 'divider bar' at classic auto parts, and I think the guys that went the preformed route got it at Concourse. If you need more info, I'll have to do some checking as my memory isn't worth a damn these days. Also, if you are redoing all your window fuzzy pieces, Classic Auto is the best place to buy the anti-rattlers that go on the door and garnish rail.
Also, if it's the rigid channel that guides the leading edge of the window that you're replacing, you'll also want to replace the strip on the wing window side, as they both get riveted to the stainless at the same time. That wing window piece is also available at Classic....it comes with the rivets.

RICH MUISE

One other suggestion....it sounds like your at a good place to get some further restoration work done...On my car, all of the bright pieces around the wing window were stainless, including the divider bar, wing window frame and hinge. so, this is a good time to get all of that stuff restored back better than new. On past posts one guy mentioned his wing window frame was chromed, not stainless, so make sure of what you've got before you get too far. I think the only bright stuff I found on my doors that weren't stainless were the wing window handles, and the door and window handles, all of which are available repoped.
I think I'm heading down to Fort Worth later today for a day or two..I'll check this post when I get back.
Rich

57 imposter

It was the divider bar that attaches to the wind wing and separates the window glass from the wind wing.
when I first went looking for it, I had no luck at all with anyone supplying the taylor made part that I have allways been able to find for other projects. That's why I got a little panicked and was very relieved to find bare stock at a local glass shop. as for all the other window run and fuzzy strips, I am in good shape.  I just hope the stuff doesn't rot or get lost by the time I am ready to reassemble as this relatively small project is quickly spiraling out of control.

57AGIN

57 imposter:

I can certainly relate to the spiraling out of control.  When I started my project a year ago, the plan was to clean up the spots that were starting to bubble in the lower rocker panels and repaint the car the same turquoise/white.

Bob
57 AGIN

Zapato

Quote from: 57 imposter on 2012-02-23 11:54
as this relatively small project is quickly spiraling out of control.

Its always darkest before the dawn.

Bob, glad your project also spiraled its been not only inspirational to the rest of us but has also set a new benchmark for many to attain.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato