News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Project 302 update

Started by robhaerr, 2012-02-24 22:00

Previous topic - Next topic

gasman826

Oh boy!!  Just popped popcorn and ready for a movie.  Always look forward to these video clips.  Oh ya'...the cars coming along nicely too.

Frankenstein57

Rob, that chassis is looking sweet. No more white knuckle cruising. :burnout:

robhaerr

Here are a couple of photos from today...no video...

Power steering pump, rack and pinion from underneath (car is slightly lifted by a lift, so no weight on it), transmission linkage...

gasman826

Looking really good!  The ham bone, Saginaw pump should be a good match to the rack.  Is hooking the shift rod direct from the transmission to the column a common practice?  Without routing through the equalizer, could engine torque shift gears?  Just asking.

bossguy

Good point on the gear shift thing Gasman. My son did the same thing with heim joints on his C-6 Edsel swap. I know the 429 will make some torque. I'll have to pass this along. Thanks

robhaerr

Hmmm...I don't know anything about an equalizer (?!?). Please edu-ma-cate me!

This is how the linkage was hooked up with the Chevy motor and trans in it...in other words....maybe it was "Frankensteined" like the steering was!

Show me what an equalizer is...please!

Thanks...
Rob

gasman826

Some refer to it as the Z bar much like the equalizer used for clutch linkage.  The equalizer allows movement of the engine without transmitting it to the shift linkage.  Same effect as torque steer.  Upon acceleration, the engine and transmission will twist or lift up on the left side.  If the rubber engine insulators (motor mounts) are a little soft, there could be upwards of a 1/2" of movement.  It might be enough to shift gears.  You need a floor shift, equalizer or a cable.

Now I'm just teasing you, but you're going to trust the work of the guy that rigged that steering.  I got some land for sale in Florida!

pictured is an example

hogwagon

I'm glad that the issue of the linkage was brought up as I thought it might be an option at first on our conversion. Back to the original plan.

robhaerr

Hmmm...I'l have to see how that Z bar gets hooked up.

robhaerr

I found this regarding a Z-bar...but going into a 57 Chevy (sorry)...
http://www.jefflilly.com/fabrication/tranny-linkage/

Looking for one for a 57 Ford with a C4...anyone...anyone?
Gasman...that one you showed a correct one?

I have a copy of the "1957 Ford Car and Thunderbird Shop Manual"...doesn't show automatic trans, only "conventional" and "overdrive". The linkage shown is a 3-speed manual column shift.

#1 on my mind is having this car a safe driver.

Rob

gasman826

you're on the right track now.  The picture was an example...maybe a '64 Fairlane.  You can make it from scratch.  It would be a nice little project with a medium to low difficultly rating.  Sometimes I like making things and other times I like to adapt other model parts.  In this case and if you have access and enjoy picking, I would hit your favorite wrecking yard and find a '60s donor that had a C4 in it.  The bellhousing bracket would be correct for your application as well as the lower linkage to the C4.  The equalizer could be shortened or lengthened to fit your needs.  If the donor is a full framed car, I would not be surprised if  the frame bracket bolts right on.  I would consider using the factory stuff because of all the plastic or rubber bushings and pivot points.  I like heims joints for a lot of things.  I have 1/4" to 3/4" ones on my car.  But they can be a little hash.  Vibration and noise can travel through them.  For a driver, I think you would be happier with some donor parts.

Ford Blue blood

I used one in my 36 Chevy (351C/FMX), came out of a 76 Mercury Marque.  Fit perfect.  Thing to do is to put the link from the shifter on the lever on the chassis side and the link from the trans to the lever on the engine side.  Had to use it to change direction because the FMX shift lever was for a floor mount shifter and I have a column shifter.

Now having said all of that.....my wagon has the stock auto column and a link straight to the C-6 shift lever.  Never had a problem with it changing gears when the hammer was down.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

robhaerr

Cool...

I bet a Maverick, Granada, Fairlane, Galaxie, Torino or another car with a column shift would be plentiful.

I do see this Lokar linkage that goes straight to the tranny...
http://www.honestcharley.com/hot-rod-parts/steering-columns/column-shift-linkage-c4-c6.html

...but going to check into the Z-bar thing-a-ma-jig...

Thanks!

gasman826

Now having said all of that.....my wagon has the stock auto column and a link straight to the C-6 shift lever.  Never had a problem with it changing gears when the hammer was down.

Maybe I was over engineering things.  Try it!  If it is a problem, you know how to fix it. 

robhaerr

Not much progress, but here is the wagon on display at Walden Speed Shop during their annual open house before the LA Roadster Show at the Pomona Fairplex this weekend...I am really tickled it was there and had many people checking it out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdPI0X8Ee8s

LA Roadster Show...
http://www.laroadsters.com/shownews.html

Happy Father's Day.

Rob