News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Driveshaft length

Started by Alex L., 2012-03-24 13:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex L.

Ok, so here is the deal.

I'm getting ready to put my 351w and AOD combo into my car. I have engine mounts from butchs rod shop.

Clearly my driveshaft will now be too long. Has anyone put in a similar combo into their car? and if they have what did they do about their driveshaft? Anyone find a donor car driveshaft that fits right in?

I imagine it would be easier to find a driveshaft from a donor car that would fit right in, but this is not always possible.

Any experience with this?

Frankenstein57

The drive shaft I got with my car was pretty used up, I had a good donor just a bit long.  Took it to the local drive shaft guy, he cut it down an inch, installed my yoke, with new u-joints for $100.  But there are some out there the correct length.  Mark

57tudor

Alex.

When I installed Bobs 351w and the Tremix, his drive shaft was short by 2 1/2" so he had a new one made by Mark Williams. They made one to handle the horse power that the engine makes. In your case, if your engine is stock, you can use the same drive shaft. You will need the correct yoke for the trans and then take measurements. Use the chart that I posted for you. All you need is the measurement for "E" and "G". Any good driveshaft shop in your area will need those measurements to shorten your drive shaft to the correct new dimensions.  Good Luck with your project. We would like to see some pic's of your project as you progress.

Rick.
57 Tudor.
:burnout:

Alex L.

Yeah, i'm not going to lie. I was hoping to avoid having to pay the amount of money it would cost to have the driveshaft shortened.

Around here everything is always quite expensive, so i was hoping i could just get something from the junkyard that would fit. Maybe i'll just get some good measurements and go to a junkyard with a measuring tape.

Alex L.

So, i actually did a little bit of research on this subject.

It turns out that getting a drivshaft shortened and balanced professionally around here isn't that expensive. I got a quote for around 140+tax. I thought it would be way more.

so i think the junkyard driveshaft idea is out.