News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

5.0 dipstick

Started by 57 imposter, 2012-04-07 13:26

Previous topic - Next topic

57 imposter

I installed a 5.0L in my custom 300 and had to use a front sump pan which came from a 302. The early motors used a dipstick mounted in the timing cover. I was told I could machine the 5.0 cover and install an early dipstick.  The problem is I kept the serpentine belt setup and the A/C compressor appears to mount right over where I need the dipstick to go. I ended up making one for the right side of the pan using flat head brackets and a calibrated dipstick. It interfears with my ability to properly raise the engine 3/8". Has anyone come up with a cleaver way around this problem.  Thanks

dgasman

I used the stock 5.0 front cover . There is a pad were the dip stick tube would go . I drilled it out and used a ds tube from a earlier 302 ford . I just lightly bent it to go behind the alt as you see in the pictures and bolted it behind the alt bracket.
HAPPY MOTORING
dgasman

57 imposter

cant tell from your pictures, are you using the stock serpentine belt set up? My idler bracket appears to mount right where the dipstick tube would go. I can't see any place else to put it. 

dgasman

Yes I am using the serpentine belt system . Mine is from a 1990 mustang . I reread your post and the way I read it is your A/C compressor is on the right side of the engine?? On mine the A/C is on the left side and the alt is on the right side. My dip stick is on the right side just behind the alt. I will try to post a better picture .
HAPPY MOTORING
dgasman

57 imposter

apparently it had been too long since I had the hood up, my alt is on the right side also. My engine is an 89 so it should be the same as yours. I am just going to have to take a better look. Thanks for the help.

canadian_ranchero

i am putting a 5.0 in my 66 mustang and found a article on one of the mustang forums showing pictures on the dip stick swap.google it

57 imposter

Just got back from checking a friends 5.0 He has the belt drive from a 91 and is using a front sump pan with the 302 front dipstick and he has tons of room for it. I don't know whats going on but I am going to take a much closer look at mine in the morning I think I have been looking in the wrong spot.