News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Borgeson Power steering Box

Started by fordaholic, 2012-04-10 19:38

Previous topic - Next topic

fordaholic

I think you guys have covered this many times in the past so I will keep it simple. I am about to buy this box for my Custom with an FE and C6 going in it. Has anyone got a reason why I should or shouldn`t use it and where is the best place to buy it?  Thanks  Gary

Frankenstein57

Anyone know if the borgeson box is based off the 605 saginaw, or if it is different? Mark

dgasman

The Borgeson box is not based off a 605 box its based off a Asian makers box. I am not sure witch one . I have a Borgeson box on my ranch wagon and I like it.
I don't know who sells them for a good price when I bought mine they were just out and I could only get it from Borgeson. It is a very compact box so you should not have any clearance issues with it.
  I see that Fatman fabricators is making a box off the Delphi 600 box for our Fords. This is the box that they use for the tri 5 chevys.The Delphi box is also a nice unit but it is a larger box than the Borgeson box He is also making custom upper control arms
HAPPY MOTORING
dgasman

fordaholic

Gasman: Do you lose any turning radius useing this box as oposed to using the ford one?

gasman826

Sure.  I think all the R&P kits increase the turning radius.  It was not an issue for me because I would have had to use stops in the spindles to keep the tires from hitting the fenderwell headers.  I am used to driving full size pickups so it was not much of an adjustment.  I think that it is a reasonable tradeoff when you consider the improved driveability.

bossguy

Borgeson is less than an hour drive for me in CT. Their p/s box appears to be cast iron welded to a steel adapter plate in the ford bolt pattern. I had a chat with a buddy of mine a retired blacksmith / welder for NYC transit authority) about welding cast iron to steel. He asked if they had a steel strap welded around the cast iron and back to the steel plate. I said I didn't think so. He said he thought he would stay away from it because if it was going to stress crack it would be at the weld. I've seen the Borgeson guys at car shows and I will talk to them next time I see them. They also have a Facebook page that I have signed onto. ABS Brake in Ca have a one piece box I believe. My son wants to try the manual steering on his 59 Edsel for now so its just something I'm following for now until my son says, "the Edsel drives like a truck!" LOL

dgasman

With the Borgeson box you do not loose any of the turn radius. The abs box is a modified 605 box that also has been welded on.
HAPPY MOTORING
dgasman

bossguy

Interesting, I thought the ABS guy told me it was all one casting. I guess its 6 of one half dozen of the other at this point. Thanks

gasman826

I really doubt that the steering box is cast iron.  It is more likely cast steel.  Cast steel in very weldable.  I have welded cast steel with good results.  I have Borgeson products and they are of excellent quality and precision.  They would not stay in business selling unsafe parts.  The lawyers would make sure of that.  I wouldn't hesitate to use one of there products.  'Only an hour away'...sounds like a road trip to me!!!!!

bossguy

Another parts mgr friend of mine works at the dealer in torrington, CT. He said he knows where the plant is but had no idea what they made there.  Part b of the road trip is the Edsel is near Daytona Beach. I'm going to wait until my son wants to add P/S. I bought him the ABS dual booster kit and he didn't like the looks, wouldn't use it. Cost me 30.00 freight Ca to Fl and another 30.00 Fl back to Ca, plus a 10% handling charge. Lesson learned!

gasman826

Lesson learned???  Don't buy stuff for your kids!

57chero

I'm using the abs ps box in my ranchero with no complaints, and it is a one piece casting no welded on bracket.

fordaholic

OK Guys; I`m sold. The borgeson box it is. Now where is the best place to order it from? Is the ebay source the least expensive @ about 600.00? Remember I am in Ontario Can.    thanks  Gary

bossguy

Do Customs fees etc make it worth a road trip to Torrington, Ct? They have a Facebook page maybe they will be at a show closer to you? Just a thought.

gasman826

Just Googled it.  Summit Racing has it for $579US.  To Canada, conversion and shipping would be extra I'm sure.