News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

EAA fly in, Ford car show

Started by Frankenstein57, 2012-07-16 22:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Frankenstein57

The experimental aircraft association fly in is coming up, I have been accepted to participate in Ford motor company's  legends car show. Its a cool deal, they rotate the cars every 2 days, T-birds are after the classics. Rousch and John Force race teams are involved, Edsel Ford meets all the participants. Steve Miller concert at night. Ford has a dyno setup, You can run your car on it and be entered in a drawing for a trip for two to the Sema show in Vegas. I have never been to the EAA show even though I live less than 2 hours away. We can leave the car in a secure show area overnight. If any of you airplane buffs are going, like Jim Nolan, send me a PM so we can meet up. I'll be there Monday and Tuesday, July 23rd &24th. Mark :003: :003: :003:

57AGIN

Mark:

Wow, does that ever sound neat.  Hope you and some of the other 57 Ford owners in your part of the country have a great time at that event.  There are sure a lot of very creative people building and flying their own aircraft.  They might even have a car or two.

Bob
57 AGIN

Ford Blue blood

My brother (fm Portage) goes every year even though he no longer owns his Cherokee 180D, just can't get the flying bug out of his system.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Frankenstein57

Its like racing or any other expensive hobby, never goes away. The Nascar boys have a week off prior to Indy, maybe some will show up. Jack rousch shows up once in awhile, a couple years ago Carrol Shelby was walking the grounds. I'm pretty fired up about this show, I've been painting the bottom side of the car and frame with rust paint.  Mark

Frankenstein57

Just to update this post, We drove up to the EAA fly in last week Monday am. I had some communication problems with the event coordinator, but pulled right in. I drove around looking for the car show, then I saw three 57 fords drive by and new I was in the right place. We set up in the Ford area, it was a great event. Topped 100 degrees the first day, so walking around was a chore. Nice Ford goodie bag, Steve Miller concert was great. The second day I had the 10:30 slot on the Ford dyno, now mind you my car is a stock292 with headers. I pulled approx 150 rear wheel hp, 198 ft lbs tourqe. 1/4 mile run was 16.22, I left the line easy as I have the weaker 3-speed od. That entered me in the Sema show grand prize, but didn't win. Met Edsel Ford, got a picture and an autograph, nice guy.  The airplanes were cool, Jack Rousch was there with his two P-51's, loved the warbirds.I'll post a picture link soon, Mark

Frankenstein57

Here is a link to the photos I took at the ford EAA show.  There are some photos with Edsel Ford and Jack Rousch, a nice picture of Jack's two P-51 Mustangs.  There are also some photos of an all Ford show at Soerens Ford in Brookfield Wisconsin, where I won first place in my division.  

Enjoy!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/84036994@N03/          I'm having trouble with the photo link, hope it worked for you

RICH MUISE

Some great looking rides at those shows..congrats on your trophy.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

F570RD

Great shots!Cool to see an old Ford on the rollers.

JimNolan

Mark,
    Thanks for providing the link. Your car is awesome and I know you probably had a time finding a place to stay up there. I spent a week up there every year for God knows how many years. We finally quit parking in the show area and camped out in a tent next to our plane. It's a blast seeing the busiest airport in the world but it's nerve wracking being a part of it. Mistakes in the air there are a little more final than mistakes on the ground. It looks like you really enjoyed yourself. That's what it's all about. One day I'd like to get up there again.
    I've been busy with a new project. I bought a 1966 Ford Fairlane 500 with 37,000 miles on it. The only thing on it that has been changed is the stainless dual exhaust and period correct wheels the previous owner put on it. Every other piece on it came on it from the factory. It still has the original fan belts and light bulbs. It's a time capsule for a bygone era. Lou would enjoy this car. The Fairlane Club Judges are excited to see the pictures I'm providing. I never thought I'd live to see the day I was participating in Lou's type of cars but here I am now. I had a GT Fairlane the same color when I was 19, that's my excuse for buying it. I never thought I'd buy a car that someone else built. But Ford Motor Company is a hard act to follow. Jim

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

RICH MUISE

Good to see something here from you Jim...seems like it's been a while. I love your taste in cars..all three of them if you still have the '63 as well. That 66 is a fantastic looking car..Good going!  289??
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Frankenstein57

Jim, I was a bit concerned also. Can't remember you posting much this summer, probably busy. Nice looking fairlane, I loved the nascar era when guys like Parnelli Jones, Mario Andretti, drove em. Did you sell the 63? The EAA deal was one of the coolest things I've done in awhile. If I go again, I like the camping by the car option, but 100 degrees on monday made it nice to have the motel 6, Mark

JimNolan

Quote from: Frankenstein57 on 2012-08-20 21:37
Did you sell the 63?  Mark

Mark,
   I've still got the 63. I can't get rid of a car. They are my babies. If I were to sell one it would be because I needed the money bad. Until that happens I'll just enjoy them. The 66 isn't a car I can drive very much. It's not that it's too valuable it's just that it needs to be kept in the condition it's in. You know yourself no matter how much you take care of one, if you drive it, it's going to go downhill. I think I bought it just to insure saving it. It's probably still got the original brake shoes. I know from the previous owners that it hasn't seen rain since 2000 when it was traded in by the original family that bought it new.
   The fact you were invited to participate in the Oshkosh event is something to be proud of. Getting to meet the people you did was a big bonus also. The biggest treat I ever got was listening to Bud Anderson describe a dog fight he had during WWII when he flew a Mustang in combat. He re-lived the event for us. What he thought, what he did, how he did it and the look on the face of the German pilot he was battling. At times his voice was quivering as he remembered every second. The best of the best show up for that event. Being a part of it had to be a great feeling. Jim

JPotter57

That's a good looking Fairlane, Jim.  The first car I bought myself at age 16 was a `66 Fairlane 500 convertible.  Wish I still had it.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

JimNolan

Thanks James,
       I've been sitting here for the last week thinking " what the hell was I thinking" I guess I just saw it and wanted it. It's not the kind of car you can enjoy. I can put it on a trailor I guess and take it to the big events. Maybe to a few local car shows but that's it. When it sold in 2004 at Kruse Actions it had 35,300 miles on it. When I bought it it had 37,605 miles on it. Two weeks later it has 38,944 miles on it. All the compontents on it are original and 46 years old. Seems blasphamy to drive it much. That's all I need, something taking up space you can't enjoy other than owning. That sucks. Jim     PS  If it weren't so nice I'd get rid of it.

Ford Blue blood

Jim drive it and enjoy it!  We are too old to worry about wheather or not it will go down in value!  Who cares anyhow?  If you like it, drive it, if you want to lock it in a vault do so, just don't worry about the rest of the stuff.  IMHO they were built to be driven, now they should be enjoyed by driving them.  Nothing in my yard sits for more then a week and I have a couple/most all that could be/are collectables!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II