News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Banned from HAMB

Started by jarhead1986, 2012-07-26 20:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Ford Blue blood

Can't really bad mouth them, they have their way, we can join in or opt out.  I visit it every day to look at some of the build threads, offer help and ideas when I can, and the classifieds.  Have had success buying and selling there.  I choose to opt out of any of the discussions that are not technical in nature.  When it comes to opinions we all have one ... and you know the rest.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

lowrider

Some of those guys can be full of themselves. You have to just lurk on the side because if you step on their toes you'll sure here about it. They do have a good Holley 94 group with alot of good information, a subject that doesnt get too much air time here. I just visit that site for information & leave the politics to someone else.

JPotter57

The most irritating thing on there, to me anyway, is when someone asks a legitimate question that pertains to something I am wanting to do or try, and the smart alecs come on there with 3 pages worth of spelling corrections, grammar corrections, pictures of hamburgers explaining how to structure a paragraph, etc.  I told one dude on there one time, that if he were so wise in the ways of English Grammar, why was he on the HAMB instead of teaching at Harvard.  If you're there to talk about cars, talk about cars, not spend 3 pages worth of bandwidth trying to educate someone on how to form a perfect paragraph.  Speaking for myself, I dont care if every word is misspelled if it is a topic I am really interested in.  I can usually decipher what point they are trying to make.  Sure, lack of punctuation might make it a little harder to read, but, hey, we're grownups, right?  The other thing that rubs me the wrong way is just the general rude way they treat new folk.  I've seen guys come on there with a picture of whatever cool car they have jsut bought, even a 32 or 33 Ford coupe a couple times, and the people just turn on him like a pack of wolves against an injured sheep.  You can go back months later and look at their post again, and their post count still be at 2 or 3.  That's why I just lurk and read the material there now.  They complain about people just coming on their site and reading the information there and not contributing anything, then when someone tries to participate, they try to eat them alive.  A real Catch 22, sounds to me like.  I'll continue to use their hallowed "search" feature, and keep to myself on there.
All that said, I will say that I have found some pretty good information there, but no more than I have found here, probably because there is only as very small subset of people on there with `57 Fords, and that is all we are about here.  I just am not one of those folks who think that a real steel 34 Ford is the only hotrod worthy of building, and I certainly wouldnt build it using materials or parts that were only available 70 years ago.  I like the traditional look, but I would prefer it have a few modern touches.  And, by the way, I HATE wide white walls, especially slicks...whose idea was that?  I realize early slicks were mainly recaps, but come on, time moved on and they invented a better mousetrap...time to move on into the `60's folks...
Well, I won't rant anymore, just making my opinion known on the HAMB.  It is a good resource, but I find much more relevant information at Y-blocksforever.com, 1957ford.com, here, vr57.com, yblockguy.com and so on.  It is a resource, not a way of life for me.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Frankenstein57

On the hamb I try to stick to the facts,just for these reasons. I like the diversity of folks and models on this site. We have a good group here, I got jumped on by some traditionalists on the Y block site for asking for a holley size recomendation. The same guys jumped on me for asking about an alternative to cork gaskets. I used to hang out on ranchero USA, but they are dominated by the 70's ranchero crowd. And people bitching politics all the time, just want to keep it about cars, family. I see one of the moderators at car shows, Dan the ranchero man. Nice guys to hang out with, I expressed my feelings about their site, in a positive way of course. Mark

shopratwoody

Politics over at the Ranchero website is unbearable to me.
I belong to the HRV group over on the HAMB and enjoy it very much.( Hot Rod Veterans)
The main board can be lame sometimes.
I hate blocksanding!

JPotter57

I like the gassers group and the 57 ford group on the HAMB.  Like Ron, the main board can be a drag.  I hate politics.  I have unfriended almost everyone except my family on my facebook page because of politics, including one good friend who just wouldn't let it go.  I will go so far as to say, that if politics start up on this board, I will lock it down immediately.  That is how much I despise that crap.  I'm not going to expend energy on something I cannot affect by my actions.  'Nuff said.  We can disagree and still be friends, but I'm not going to read about it on my facebook or here every day.  All that said, and I am being biased, but this is my favorite site on the internet.  If I had the money to buy out Gambill's site, I totally would just so I could have it all under one roof.  I just don't have the cash available.  Between John's and my site, that is where I spend the majority of my internet time, with about 5% going to facebook and another 10% going to y-blocksforever.com and the HAMB. 
Old, loud, and fast.

JPotter57

Oh, I forgot about my other favorite time waster, Craigslist.  It overcame ebay a long time ago.  The only time I go to ebay, is when I use searchtempest.com (craigslist aggregate) and the ebay results come up at the bottom of the page.  If there is something interesting there, I will go look at it.
Old, loud, and fast.

Zapato

Quote from: wv 57s forever on 2012-07-27 17:08
went on hamb looked around on one thread saw two or three people with more than six thousand post. maybe they should get a life.

there are a few with over 20,000 posts, must live there.
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

RICH MUISE

LOL..6,000, 20,000. that makes me feel better. My blue graph line in the list of members is about to crash into the right side.....I wonder if my computer is going to quake a little when I hit the 'post' button.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

2x57sedan

i am a current hamb alliance member and i aggree with ALL the bitches that have been posted here about it ive had my share of run-ins with the "more traditionalthenthou" i just blow em off

the thing i like the most about the hamb is the knowledge base  and in most cases if you ask a question you can get responces very quickly   even on obscure problems   

but there are a few guys over there that live to piss off everybody  that just brings the site down

ive never seen soo many cars guys that complain about seeing pics of cars (anything post 65 or prostreet or???)

i like most all types of american cars and styles of builds but like them i dont care about rat rods

but on the other hand i hate wide whites, airbags , 17 or bigger rims (unless they canme stock like model t's etc)
57 custom sedan
57 failane 500 4 dr (parts 4 sale or trade)
2 60 thunderbirds 1hdtp 1 vert (parts)
69mustang
72 f100

F570RD

"more traditionalthenthou" ......Thats plenty funny  bawl bawl

Frankenstein57

I met a guy at a model A event up north , said he was banned from the hamb for politics

len

hey how can i get banned from hamb. i just joined em.sounds like fun

Zapato

Quote from: 2x57sedan on 2012-09-04 21:47

ive never seen soo many cars guys that complain about seeing pics of cars (anything post 65 or prostreet or???)

Ok! I've been on the Hamb almost from the beginning and have seen a ton of changes most of them by self appointed moderators. The jerks we all detest with their offbase remarks. However there is an incredible pool of knowledge and experience there. I spend most of my time there in a couple of social groups wish the 57 ford group was livelier but its been a real good resource for me. Yet it could have come from this site just as well as most guys in that group are also here.

The guys that complain about what is quoted above are the jerks that either believe they own the site or are moderators. Neither being true. However when I visit the Hamb I don't expect to read about who just won the Winternats, but don't mind reading about Bonneville Speed Week. The owner of the site set has set the criteria as 65 and older ''traditional'' builds. Not sure what defines ''traditional'' but am sure a pro-street Duster isn't but an Anglia gasser is.

Just as when I roll in here I don't expect to be discussing 57 Oldsmobiles or Ferraris. There are sites that fill those needs when they arise. I'm sure James would not be pleased if we attempted to head off into another area of the hobby. I really appreciate that this site has stayed true to its mission and that its moderated by one person.

Trashing the Hamb is a waste of effort,  Know guys that have been banned and later allowed to return. One in particular knew he was pushing the envelope of stupidity. And was asked to leave. He's grown up considerably (amazing what having kids can do) and asked for and got forgiven.

Have to admit that one of my favorite.looked forward to things every week is the Friday Art Show on the Hamb. I'll check in several times on Fridays. The Hamb is to me like one of those all you can eat places. First few times you tend to overdo it and eat too many different things. After awhile you get a lot more selective on what fills your plate.

Well have wasted enough bandwidth here tonight wouldn't blame James if he locked this thread.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

JPotter57

I agree with you Zap.  I dont get on there much, but when I do, I am looking for something in particular, use the search feature, find it, and go on with life.  I never post there any more, because of the self appointed bosses on there, know it alls, etc.  I agree that it is an incredible source of knowledge, talent and information.  I have thoroughly enjoyed reading every post and looking at every picture in the Jr Stocker and Modified Production threads.  Even though the quantity of Ford participants was much much lower than the scrubs, they were there, and the pictures and writeups were awesome.  The VR57 supercharged Y blocks really dished out a but kicking back then.  Do you guys want to see what my desktop background picture is?  I found it on the HAMB.  There was a thread about gassers and Modified Production cars running together.  If you look, you can see the 55 chev is a D/Gas car, while the ford is an A/Stock which means it likely had a SC 312 in it, with probably a 3 speed in it.  very cool..
Old, loud, and fast.