News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

carburators

Started by mtwilsonboy, 2012-09-21 15:14

Previous topic - Next topic

mtwilsonboy

I was told my carb is no good so I decided to replace it with something brand new. Does anybody know which brand and style of carb will fit on my 1957 312 engine. It is a four barrel manifold. Thanks.

Ford Blue blood

Both Holley and Edlebrock have a 600 CFM that will work.  I am partial to the Holley, am able to make them work well.  Just remember to keep a good filter in the line, Holleys don't like dirt.  I like manual chokes, both sell manual and automatic.

Did they say why your current carb is no good?  Not much can go wrong....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

lowrider

Another carb that will fit on your engine is the Ford 4100 4V. While the Holley would be my second choice, IMO the 4100 is a better carb to run on the street. Less temperamental. Not a big fan of the Edelbrock (Carter) but you see alot of them out there.

Ford Blue blood

I like the 4100 series, agree, a great street carb.  Trouble is finding one that does'nt have worn out shaft bushings.  Don't know it the Holley kit to fix that would work on the 1400....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

geraldchainsaw

since everyone is giving their opinion,  heres mine,   i've had my car for 6 or 7 years and when i got it,  it had a edlebrock with a electric choke,    have never had any problems with it,   but theres many good carbs out there,  so what ever suits you and what u can aford,  read eevery ones opinion and make up your own mind,  you probly won't go wrong with any of the suggestions,   jerry

mtwilsonboy

Thanks for all your replies. I have some imfo to go on now.

mtwilsonboy

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2012-09-21 21:16
Both Holley and Edlebrock have a 600 CFM that will work.  I am partial to the Holley, am able to make them work well.  Just remember to keep a good filter in the line, Holleys don't like dirt.  I like manual chokes, both sell manual and automatic.

Did they say why your current carb is no good?  Not much can go wrong....
The car sat for 40 years. They told me they couldnt get the jets out or anything loose.

Ford Blue blood

Take it apart as far as you can and then soak it in an ultrasonic cleaner with kerosene.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

mtwilsonboy

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2012-09-22 09:46
Take it apart as far as you can and then soak it in an ultrasonic cleaner with kerosene.

I never heard of ultra sonic cleaner. What is is and where would I get it?

Frankenstein57

My 292 had the 4100 series carb. My buddy rebuilt it, he said the kit didn't cover everything in the carb. I always had a dead spot or hesitation on low rpm acceleration. My brother had about eight of the smaller single feed holleys, we looked up the numbers and bought a kit for the cleanest one, which turned out to be a 600. I had gotten  opinions that said the 600 was to much, but for a $35 rebuild kit I thought I'd try it. We had to tweak the jets and squirters twice, but it runs pretty good. Just finished putting on over 700 miles in northern Wisconsin, got about 16 mpg most of the time. Correct me if I'm wrong, but its only a 600 when you kick open the secondaries.  Mark :burnout:

Ford Blue blood

They are used in various shops for deep cleaning purposes.  Electronic shops, jewlery shops, fuel injector services, any kind of services requiring deep cleaning where chemicals are not an option.  Not sure you can readily find them out there cheap.  Google ultra sonic and a bunch of good info comes up.

Like I said, the 4100 series just don't have that much that will go wrong with them.  Corrosion is the worst, the most common is worn throttle shaft bushings.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

mtwilsonboy

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2012-09-23 08:26
They are used in various shops for deep cleaning purposes.  Electronic shops, jewlery shops, fuel injector services, any kind of services requiring deep cleaning where chemicals are not an option.  Not sure you can readily find them out there cheap.  Google ultra sonic and a bunch of good info comes up.

Like I said, the 4100 series just don't have that much that will go wrong with them.  Corrosion is the worst, the most common is worn throttle shaft bushings.

Thanks Ford Blue Blood,