News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Just got something really cool....

Started by JPotter57, 2012-10-06 14:46

Previous topic - Next topic

JPotter57

Just bought a complete VR58 supercharger setup for my 312...Need to get a couple things for it though, mounting bracket for a y-block with idler pulley.  The mounting bracket and idler that comes with this kit is for something other than a Ford, possibly a Stude or even a 348 Chev.  Non-Ford stuff will be for sale on ebay soon after it arrives here.   :burnout:  Can't wait.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

57 Ford Kustom

Quote from: JPotter57 on 2012-10-06 14:46
Just bought a complete VR58 supercharger setup for my 312...Need to get a couple things for it though, mounting bracket for a y-block with idler pulley.  The mounting bracket and idler that comes with this kit is for something other than a Ford, possibly a Stude or even a 348 Chev.  Non-Ford stuff will be for sale on ebay soon after it arrives here.   :burnout:  Can't wait.

Nice! Tom is drooling from above, gotta admit you yblock guys are a one of a kind breed!

Thanks,
Tim :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

JPotter57

Just found out from the guy I bought it from, the brackets and pulley are from an FE, so I might hang onto them instead of selling them.  Cool stuff.
Old, loud, and fast.

glen b henderson

That's cool James, remember we have a couple of old 390's stashed back, just a thought ha ha.
Freedom is not Free

suede57ford

James that is a great score on the VR Blower!   It will be great to have another example of a VR Supercharged '57 Ford to show the world how great these car were.

It's going to be fun to race at the vintage drags.  The Junior Stocker look never goes out of style.

If anyone has any original or repo VR57/Yblock parts let James know so he can get it mounted to his 312.

Richard Stuck recently finished his VR57/58 Blower on his red tudor sedan and it looks awesome

I'm always have my hood open to show off the fact that Ford had blowers in '57.

Besides how cool they look, they run great with the supercharger too!
57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429

JPotter57

I spoke with Frank Rice, he can hook me up on the bracket and tensioner, I am on my own with the drive pulley though, so, I will be needing to find a small diameter VR58 drive pulley.  Any leads, gentlemen?
Old, loud, and fast.

Zapato

Just what is a VR58 pulley?  OK! I did a google search and now know what it is. There might be another application that works. If you have shaft size etc... there could be an industrial pulley ut there. Trying to remember where I've seen a large pulley selection in a catalog. Don't think it was Grainger or McMaster-Carr. hopefully there's a millwright on this board that can help out.

Zap- :unitedstates:

Baldor, believe that's the source and industrial pulleys are properly called sheaves. But for some reason pulley usually wins out.
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

Hoosier Hurricane

Best bet may be to make a pulley from scratch.  The VR pulley has a 1" bore, but it is a blind hole with a 3/8 bolt holding the pulley on the shaft, and a roll pin to keep it from slipping.  Then there is the issue of the angle of the grooves, automotive and commercial belts use different angles.

John

Hoosier Hurricane

James:

I just re-read your post, you say "drive pulley".  Are you referring to the pulley on the crankshaft, or the one on the blower?  The one I described above is the one on the blower.  To me, the drive pulley would be on the crankshaft, the blower has the driven pulley.

John

suede57ford

I have someone else who needs two VR57/58 pulleys made as well.  If we get someone who is willing to make we may be able to make a qauntity order.   

I am trying to get another lower pulley made from Aircraft Aluminum for my Black car.   It is a custom pulley since I have an ATI balancer. Local estimates are around $700 minimum to make one just like what I have.  I want to build another lower pulley, as I have some heavy belt wear in the waterpump/Alternator/AC groove on my current aluminum one.  We talked about having them made CNC, as there may be more of us that could use them.

I have my aluminum pulley's anodized black after machining to make them look more stock and it gives tham a hard coating.
57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429

JPotter57

The driven pulley is the one, John.  Keep me posted Pat, I may be needing one like that also.  Have to wait and see.
Old, loud, and fast.

Zapato

$700- Wow!  That price is truly for a one off at a machine shop. What you need to do is find a machinist that does side work at home.  If you can provide dimensions, angles etc... even a rough sketch its very doable by anyone with a lathe.  Not rocket science ask around just like any other craft there are guys out there that can do it at home with very little overhead.  

In fact if you went back to that shop and told them you can't afford that and asked if any of their guys did side work at home they might steer you to him.

Zap- :unitedstates:

One thing about CNCs, they are great for production runs. Often not cost effective for one offs. Takes just as much effort to program.set-up for 1 part as a 1000.  And that cost will of course be absorbed by the customer. The beauty is once the program is made you can produce them anytime at a much more affordable price.  And that is what needs to be discussed. years ago I had some trim work produced for my 51 ford guy told me right upfront could pay $250- for one or $300- for a dozen. Spent the 300 and sold a few . So if you guys can firm up enough orders (money up front) once you get a per piece price for a large order it could be affordable. $700 is for at least me a ton of money. I'd be talking with that shop some more before buying one.
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

57AGIN

James:

I took this photo of Pete McCarroll's VR57 set up years ago at one of my High School's Annual Alumni Day Car Shows.  He used the ribbed pulleys on his 57 they not only look great, but they don't slip either.  I may see him again this Saturday at the 2012 THS Alumni Day Car Show.  If I do I'll ask him how he came about his setup.  Note the neat cool box he made to hold ice to cool his intake air, he said it also gives a bit of unregulated water injection, too.

Bob
57 AGIN

Hoosier Hurricane

James:

When you talked to Frank, did you discuss pulleys?  He used to reproduce them, I don't know if he has any left.

John

JPotter57

Frank said he didnt have any right now, but was getting ready to have some cast up.  I will go ahead and get in line for one.  That Gordon guy that does all the trick one off stuff for Y blocks..I may try to see if I can get some pulleys from him, if the price is not too out there.  I have a driven pulley, it is just too large to make good boost, maybe 3.5 or 4 inch diameter?  I will be looking for this stuff over the next few months, and as I find it, I'll buy it, discharge hoses, etc.  I will be saving the bucks for a while, 'cuz I want one of those fine repro filter housings.  Not necessary, I know, but look so cool.  By the way, John, can you shoot me an email?  I'd like to know what kind of cam, compression, rocker setup etc, that you run in the Hurricane 312...Tell me the secret of a good running Y...you are the man to ask right now I suppose..You Pat, if you're still reading...I don't mind a little radical, but I do still want to drive it every now and then.  In other words, I'd like a low 13 1/4, maybe a little quicker, so I guess around 375 or so hp is the requirement.
Old, loud, and fast.