News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

scarbird disc brake conversion

Started by xsilencex, 2012-10-25 12:11

Previous topic - Next topic

xsilencex

I am about to start my next big change on my ranchero, which is disc brake conversion. does anyone on here have first hand knowledge of using the scarbird adapters on thier 57? my ranchero is a daily so i try to research everything i may run into before doing a big project. i usually take a week off work to get the project done so any suprises i can eliminate first really help with my timeline.

gasman826

punch 'scarbird' into the SEARCH box...that vendor/style has been discussed several times

Zapato

Gasman, your reply got my curiosity going so did as suggested go nothing but the original post and your reply. Went to the site home page and then only got your reply.

Now can someone provide more info maybe a solid link or two?

Zap- :unitedstates:

OK! Its scarEbird not scarbird, has good reviews on other Ford Forums. Doing your homework is always a good thing, Personally like to gather up everything needed prior to starting such a project. Nothing worse than being held up in the middle by some simple part made of unobtanium. Read as many discussions as possible to assure you cover all bases.

Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

Frankenstein57

The scarbird is one option, there are many out there.  If you want discs, but don't want to change spindles, its a good way to go. There is an active post with a guy using an all included kit, price looked good  Mark

xsilencex

i did a search and most posts were about wanting to change to disc brakes and what company to go with. i'm not asking what company to go with, i'm asking if anyone has used thier disc brake set up and what hang ups did they run into or was it pretty straight forward.

if I happened to miss a posting that described what i'm looking for please post a link.

len

i just put disks on my 57 ranchero last week and used 1977 cougar. they bolt right on no mods.i believe they fit 72 to 77 on the cougar ltd 2 .i have my own wrecking yard so i can look up exact interchange on monday if you want. still fairly common stuff.len

gasman826

I did the Granada swap several years ago.  I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.  Spindles provide a little drop.  Plenty of brake quality.  All Ford parts...available anywhere.  Brake hoses are a little effort but minimal.  Requires outer tie rod change?  Huge list of donor cars!
Not the best picture but you get the idea.

milo1957

i put scarebird brakes on the ranchero i am building.....  yes very straight forward no issues...did have to buy longer bolts to put the adapter on the spindle...  but was told that would be fixed in the kit by the company...so you should have no problems!

xsilencex

thanks for the reply, it's exactly what I was looking for.

Quote from: milo1957 on 2012-10-28 08:59
i put scarebird brakes on the ranchero i am building.....  yes very straight forward no issues...did have to buy longer bolts to put the adapter on the spindle...  but was told that would be fixed in the kit by the company...so you should have no problems!

Tom S

Quote from: len on 2012-10-27 06:02... used 1977 cougar. they bolt right on no mods.
I assume you mean spindles & all.

len

Tom S

Quote from: len on 2012-10-27 06:02... I have my own wrecking yard so i can look up exact interchange on monday if you want. still fairly common stuff.
Len, could you please look that interchange info for us?
Finding any parts around here for a 72 to 77 Cougar would be next to hopeless.  Be nice to know all the options.

Ford Blue blood

Tom my notes while not all inclusive show 73 - 76 Torino, 77 - 79 T-Bird and 70 LTD in addition to the Granada.  The Mercury counter parts are the same.....hopefully Len can come up with more.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

xsilencex

just curious, is that all with 15" rims?

Ford Blue blood

Yup....unless you can find Granada 14" disc brakes wheels.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II