News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

ranchero leaks

Started by len, 2012-11-18 10:27

Previous topic - Next topic

len

i keep hearing about the rear caB LEAKING ON 57 RANCHERO.I AM SURE IT IS TRUE AS ME REAR FLOORBOARDS HAD HOLES BIG ENOUGH YOU COULD CRAWL THROUGH.THIS IS NOT AN EXAGURATION.AS I HAVE IT ON A ROTISSARY NOW CAN SOMEONE COMMENT ON THIS PROBLEM AND IS IT FIXABLE??ALSO WHERE CAN I FIND A LONGHORN EMBLEM FOR THE TAILGATE OF MY RANCHERO??I COULD FILL IN THE HOLE AS I RESKIN THE LOWER 1/2 OF THE GATE BUT AS MY WIFE AND I RAISE REGISTERED TEXAS LONGHORN CATTLE YOU CAN SEE WHY THE EMBLEM WOULD BE KINDA NEAT ON HER RANCHERO.LEN

Meteorman

Len every thing is fixable sometimes it just takes longer. I presume you mean the back half of your cab floor, possibly that part of the floor is the same as a car if so cut out a piece from another car and weld it in. cut back to body seams and trim as required.and weld it in try not to have any over laps. perhaps post a picture or email me one to make sure we are referring to the same thing. Possibly caused from leaky back window over the years.good luck Harold.

Meteorman

Len google longhorn emblem all sorts available.

len

repairing the floor is no problem as i am welding in repair panels now but if i know where the leak is comin from i can fix it permanently.what part of the yukon do you hale from.len

RICH MUISE

Len...I've never owned a Ranchero, and I've never seen any discusions on water leaks peculiar to the Ranchero, but there may be. Most of the water leakage, and eventual rusting of floorpans, all the way back to the rear footwells is caused by leakage from the cowl area. All of this is addressed in final assembly with new rubber and sealers, caulking, and in particular...the rubber drain tubes at both ends of the cowl that were designed to funnel the cowl vent water outside of the side kick panels....but after the rubber goes bad, dumps all that water inside instead.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Limey57

If the bolt-down rear deck panel (the big one running the length of the rear load area) isn't sealed properly water will find its way through here & into the cab footwell.  I'm going to use a non-setting bedding mastic to seal mine when painted, this is the stuff sold on a roll and used primarily in the building of travel trailers.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

Ford Blue blood

I have found plumbers putty work exceptionaly well.  The 66 Falcon Ranchero I built had much the same issue.  Water had leaked around the bed floor and eventually settled in the foot wells.  Fortunately there was no carpet or padding or broken windows and all that was there was a puddle.  The bed floor in that Ranchero must be removed to change the shocks.  Spent more then one six pack engineering session trying to figure a way around this.  Was putting a new basin in the kitchen and it dawned on me.....plumbers putty.....seals very well, stays pliable and when that bed floor needed to be lifted it could.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

57chero

Len, I have several reproduction steer head emblems , go to the for sale section fourth page four lines down.