News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

New Guy Need A Little Advise

Started by petew, 2012-12-14 09:05

Previous topic - Next topic

petew

Seasons greetings to all,

I just purchases a 57 Country Sedan out Of California . It is a very nice car but in spite of living its life in Ca. it has some rust in the usual locations. I see that EMS makes patch panels for things like the lower fenders and quarters but there is one spot that they don't seem to cover.
This car apparently had some rust in the "dog leg" ahead of the left rear wheel. That's the metal between the front of the L/R wheel and behind the L/R door , looks like the shape of a dogs leg and it runs from the quarter panel down to the rocker.
Does anybody make a replacement panel for this area to fit a wagon ? And will one from a 4 door work on a wagon because I have found them.
The car also came without a jack, spare or jack tools. I figure I can get these parts out of a wrecking yard that specializes in these cars as I have done with other cars in the past. Question is have any of you had dealings with any particular yard that you would recommend ?
That's all for now and thanks in advance for any guidance that you can provide.

Pete

RICH MUISE

welcome to the site. Not sure if the are the same or close enough to make fit...I would guess they are, but that's just a guess. That would be more likely to hold true, I would think, if the parts you found were for a custom 4 dr rather than a fairlane. Maybe one of the guys on this site with a 4 door could measure the width of that dogleg so you could compare it to yours.

Jacks: If you are looking for a oem jack just for a visual/ restoration thing..go for it. If you are looking for a functional jack, IMHO using a bumper jack as they did in the old days is not a good idea. Some of the guys have instead picked up a scissors jack from lincolns or caddys..much safer, take up less space than carrying a floor jack, and won't harm your car if put under the frame. LOL...I had 4 of them I picked up at a local yard for $5 each..ruined all of them trying to jack my house up with them earlier this year. I guess the corner of a house weighs a lot more than a DeVille.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hiball3985

Good idea on the scissor jack, I'll have to look for one. I know what you mean about the bumper jacks, I dropped one car using one back in the day.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

petew

Thanks Rich,

I grew up in the era of bumper jacks and would never put one under car , they scare me ! I always use a floor jack and only want the bumper jack to complete the cars look. Any ideas on which of these wrecking yards for 57's is good to deal with ?

Pete

TexasFordGuy

1957 Club Victoria (63B)
1955 F100

Meteorman

petew

Thank you sir for that info. I will contact them.

Pete

robhaerr

Love the wagons!

Post some photos of your project!

I am grateful that you removed another wagon from California...I think...makes mine more rare out here!

Cheers...
Rob

petew

as requested....

robhaerr

Nice stock wagon...and you even have the plastic insert emblem on the tailgate!

Wayne Carini (TV show "Chasing Classic Cars) has had this one for sale for a few years since he bought it from a museum in Branson , Mo. It was even televised when he bought it. Same colors, but with a 3-speed manual...

http://www.f40.com/inventorymanager.php?action=view&Id=259559

Thanks for posting photos!
Happy New Year...

Rob

petew

Yes, The car that he has is a beauty judging by the pictures and he wants $49,000 for it, (he paid $35,000 as I recall). I can promise you that I didn't pay nearly that for this car.
The body on this car is about 80% and has some items that need to be corrected, I will also give it a mechanical restoration.
It is an original 3 speed overdrive car that currently has a regular 3 speed in it. I have an overdrive and all the trimmings all set and ready to go in.
The interior is great except for the speakers in the door panels, I'll get rid of them as well.
I was told this afternoon that it will arrive on New Years Day. Can't wait.

Pete

RICH MUISE

Nice score. Hell...it probably went down I40 thru my home town on it's way to your place and I didn't get to see it. That'll start your new year off great!
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

57 Ford Kustom

Petew,
   Beautiful car! I like the color combo, are you going to keep it that color? When I repaint my Dad's car, I am going to use the willow green, now it's cumberland green and colonial white. Great looking car :003:.
Thanks,
Tim :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

petew

It's home !

57 Ford Kustom

Petew,
   Congrats on getting her home, agian, love the color combo! Nice looking Merc also!
Tim :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.