5.0 HO Swap - What years and models are the best and what are the pitfalls?

Started by briney, 2007-10-09 14:29

Previous topic - Next topic

briney

Guy's

I need some help.

I have seen some treads and viewed pictures of 5.0 swaps in a few 57?s on the board.  Can anyone tell me if a 1992 Lincoln Mark VII series with a 5.0 HO automatic will swap well in a 57?  It looks like the years 1990 to 1993 are all the same, does anyone know?  If it possible, and a fairly simple swap, are there any points to watch out for. 

I am looking at the 1992 for a whole lot of parts.  I assume I could use the wiring harness and computer for the swap too. If it is possible to do, is there an easier way to do the swap?

I have also heard that Mustangs and Thunderbirds make good donors too. Can anyone give me the model years for those and tell me why they are the best for the swap?  :read2:

What kind issues will I be facing getting the, motor mounted, transmission working correctly with the speedometer along with shift points, cooling, axle etc??    :deadhorse:

I know it's a lot of questions but it looks like it might be worth the effort to do.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Patrick / Dallas TX   :unitedstates:
If it won't fit, force it.
If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.

fomocochoptop

If it a 5.O or a 4.6 DOHC Modular engine. post a photo to see if any one can identify.

briney

fomocochoptop,

Here are three shots...  :toothy12:

briney

Hey Guys,

I bought the 1992 Lincoln Mark VII series with a 5.0 HO automatic.  I drove it home today.  It ran 400 miles without any issues, it's a very strong motor and transmission. I almost hate to rip the car apart. It is VERY clean.  I think I will cop the seats and some other stuff from it before I scrap it.  Anyone know of anything else I should grab out of it, other than the computer, harness and drive train?

I'll let ya know how well it swaps.  If anybody has any more info on the swap other than the other posts already on the board feel free to chime in.

I know the firing order, cam, are different.  Other than that it appears the same as a Mustang 5.0.

Time tells all.   :003:

Later,

Frankenstein57

Patrick, I have decided to scrap the big block plan and go with a 5.o mustang drivetrain. I read that the stock mustang motor mounts bolt up good with a little hole enlargement. Ford also produced stock shorty headers which fit the 57. The mustang parts are plentifull on ebay. I'm going with a t5 stick trans. The only aftermarket wiring harness available for the fords are pretty much 5.0. You will have to run a return fuel line and increase your pump pressure, I saw a post on that in this site. I think its a good fit, 20 -25 mpg is nice too! I pulled a donor motor from a sweet running 88 towncar, but its kind of an oily mess, I might trade it on a remaufactured piece, good luck-stay posted. Mark

briney

Thankls Mark I'll let you know what's going on.

Patrick / Dallas, TX   :unitedstates: