2006 Fun Ford Weekend at the California Speedway October 21-22

Started by 57AGIN, 2006-12-15 11:45

Previous topic - Next topic

57AGIN

The Fun Ford Weekend (FFW) held at the California Speedway on October 21-22, 2006 was a great opportunity to show off some of the Southern California 57's.  We participated in both the drag racing (time trials only this year) and the UPR car show held both Saturday and Sunday.

We put two of our 57's onto the newly laid out drag strip just to the North of the Speedway.  Doug Klein's 57 Fairlane 500 (FE 427 powered) and my Custom 300 (351W powered) both had traction issues, pretty good topend speeds, lousy ET's.  But we both had a great time.  Doug's wife was going to do a run with her 57 Ranchero (Y-block), but by the time she reached the starting line and bringing up the revs by power braking, the auto trans overheated and blew out some trans fluid.  She was bummed, but a good sport.

The car show was broken into two different events:  Saturdays show was voted on by the show participants who selected the top twenty cars at the show.   Saturday there were five 57's owners showing their rides. Three of our 57's received trophy plaques, Doug's wife Ruth's silver & white Ranchero, Don Partain's beautiful black 351 Cleveland powered) Ranchero and my turquoise & white Custom 300 Tudor.   On Sunday we had a couple of additional 57's added to the show and they were selected by the FFW officials to be placed together at the entrance to the grandstands and vendor booths:  John Lamanna's beautiful red & white Sunliner and Bill Sawyer's classy red & white Skyliner, both are concours points type show cars.  Sundays show was a more traditional show judged by the FFW officials.    Once again, our 57's faired very well in the judging.  John Lamanna's Skyliner took an Open class trophy, Doug's Fairlane received the Riley's  Nostalgia (a Ford 427 expert) trophy, Don Partain's Ranchero took the Top Truck trophy, my Custom 300 took the Promoter's Choice trophy, and Bill Sawyer's Skyliner took the BEST OF SHOW trophy.  Bill had to drive home with the 6 foot trophy placed on his back seat with the retractable top in the down position, it was too big to put the top up, fortunately no rain at this years event.  Not too bad a showing.  Next year we'll see if we can get even more 57's out to this very Fun Ford Weekend.

Bob
57AGIN

CARL JIMZ

Can I come? I have a 1957 Ford fairlane 500 sedan I am restoring. It is presently at the paint shop. All original. Carl Jimz: 1957 ford fairlane and a 1951 ford 8n tractor. P.S. still needs work. I can't get the oil leak to stop. I know its the rear main seal. I had it fixed 2 months ago and it is still leaking. The shop owner says he will do it again but thinks it will develop a leak again because of "blow by". Any way, wish me luck and if anyone can shed some light on this I would appreciate it.

shopratwoody

Carl,
Regarding your rear seal. Blow By won't cause it to leak, but crankcase pressure will. Make sure the engines
breathers are open. Old smog regulations in Ca used to plug up the bottom crankcase breather when the
PCV valve was installed. Make sure there all open and let it blow by. I think anyone with a Ford can go to
the Fun Ford weekend. I raced many All Ford Drags through the years.
Later, Ron :004:
I hate blocksanding!

57AGIN

Carl & Ron:

Absolutely, anyone interested in or posessing a Ford can and are encouraged to come to the Fun Ford Weekends.  Here in Southern California they are being held at the California Speedway in Fontana.  This year (2007) the event is actually scheduled to be held over three days, October 19, 20, & 21, 2007.  I don't know why the change, I copied some of their information to let you know who puts it on and what is done.  I think all of the 57 owners attending the Fun Ford Weekend last October (2006) had a really good time and I'm sure looking forward to this years event.

Bob
57AGIN

About Fun Ford Weekend Events
Fun Ford Weekend by AMP Performance, Presented by Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords Magazine.

American Autosports Productions is the sanctioning body for the Fun Ford Weekend (FFW) Drag Racing series. Fun Ford Weekend is an organization developed 16 years ago by Ford enthusiasts specializing in the promotion of Ford drag racing and car show events. Fun Ford Weekend is dedicated to the growth and development of Ford performance and strives to provide an enjoyable and fun-filled atmosphere for racers and fans.

Fun Ford Weekend events take place at the nation's prime Ford markets with 12 events in 2006. The Fun Ford Weekend Series is a festival of exciting Ford power featuring Heads-Up and Open Comp drag racing classes along with Bracket racing classes. These classes compete throughout the season for cash awards, points and contingency awards. The ever popular True Street Class highlights the series with a unique race for the street legal Ford vehicles. The two day Car Show Spectacular is the perfect venue for displaying your show quality Ford. The Manufacturers Midway and Swap Meet/Car Corral has an endless array of the latest in Ford products and services.

American Autosports Productions (Fun Ford Weekend) has the fourteen classes to compete in. These racing categories vary from class to class depending on the modifications that you have done to your race car. Just remember, your car has to be within the rules of the class for you to participate. These are both heads up and bracket racing classes. The rules are designed to ensure a level playing field for all participants.

For more information about Fun Ford Weekend, check out their web site at www.funfordevents.com