News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

new blood

Started by 6cyl57, 2012-12-26 15:33

Previous topic - Next topic

6cyl57

hi guys. I'm new to your site, and new to the 57 Fords. I have been around GM products all of my gearhead life.
I have Oldsmobiles, one that I race and one that I'm building into AWB race car. Anyway enough about those.
I am here to learn what I can about these 57s. Mine is a 300 Custom 6cyl 4spd. I have liked this body stile for
a long time. I didn't know they are not Fairlanes. I bought it  to drive every chance I get. I just really dig this car.
I have noticed not many pictures posted other than in the gallery. I figured I would post some ,just not sure were
to put them.
I have probably met some of you at Byron dragway, that is my home track.
I have lots to learn about these 57.

RICH MUISE

You came to the right place, welcome! It's amazing how many times you see customs on ebay or----advertised as Fairlanes.
LOL...reminds me of the guy one time that told me "nice car, I use to have one just like it. What is it?"
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

JPotter57

You can post them in the forums or in the gallery.  Up to you, all pics are welcome.  Hope you enjoy it here...Welcome.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

6cyl57

ok thanks, here some pics.
I did repaint the driver side door and rear 1/4. its a 10 footer.
just no new picture.

57 Ford Kustom

Welcome 6cyl, glad you could join the gang!
Tim :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

hiball3985

Welcome aboard. My first 57 in 1966 was a custom, 6 cylinder 3 spd. I see you have a later 223 or at least the head.. What 4 spd are you using?
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

Man, to me that is just the perfect driver. I'm gonna have to think about getting another '57 one of these days. six banger stick would be just fine with me.

6cyl57

hiball, I don't know what trans it is other than its not a top loader,and it is an iron case.
as for the engine and head combo. Couldn't tell you much about them either. other
than you sure cant get in hurry when driving this car.
I assume its the 223 that it came with, but it was originally a 3spd car. i have seen
other pictures of the early 6 and I thought I saw center bolt valve cover.

hiball3985

6cyl57,
You are right about the valve cover,  two center bolts, actually studs,  until 1960 then the head casting was changed to use the valve cover like you have. If the trans has a side cover it could be a T10.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

sprink88

Welcome 6cyl57. Nice ride you have there!
~Chris

wildhog

6cyl. My name is Tom Drummond, I am the midwest Director for the club and I just live up in Rockton Il. should be close to you. I helped get the y-blocks and 57 Fords to the Melt down at Byron. If you need any help, or just want to talk 57 Fords give me a call 815-871-8017
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)

6cyl57

Hi guys,just got back from out rowing the gears.  Just cant get enough . Every time I go some place in this
car I get the thumbs up.  Its been from 8 year old kids to 60 year old women. And well guys too.
Tom, thanks for the offer I will take you up on it. I plan to have it at the Meltdown. Koopmeiner said I could be his tow back car. He is with the Fugitives. you probably know him.

oh and just in case what anyone wants to know what I paid for it. I didn't get a smoking deal ,but I'm sure I didn't get hurt on it either. It was 5000. no floor work needs to be done except two  2" soft spots in the trunk. Its no show car
but I can park it right up front at Wally world

RICH MUISE

In front at Wallyworld...funny.
5K??? what were you thinking?? You could have picked up a rotted out one for 2K like the rest of us, and had the fun of spending at least the other 3k, and hundreds of hours, on fixing the rust over the next three years. Of course that's only if you could do all the work yourself.
I don't know why your car in particular strikes home for me, but I've been doing an every nut, bolt and everything else restomod on mine for the past 6 years but when I look at your car it makes me feel like I destroyed the car I loved to drive. I was serious on an earlier post when I said some day I need to look into another one.
Rich

hiball3985

You may not have seen this in another thread but this is my first 57 in 1966. Custom 300 223 3spd. It had about 45,000 original miles and I paid $400 for it.

JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

6cyl57

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2012-12-28 09:35
You may not have seen this in another thread but this is my first 57 in 1966. Custom 300 223 3spd. It had about 45,000 original miles and I paid $400 for it.

wow cool picture ! That looks like mine. I was born in '66. from what I can tell these 300s were about $2300 new. So yes I
over paid..... :002: .
Rich,I have been down that road. well maybe not to the extent you are. I can certainly appreciate what it takes to do
what you are doing. My other two cars have been off the frames and a million parts.