News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

front sheetmetal assembly

Started by RICH MUISE, 2012-12-28 15:23

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

I'm doing a temp. assembly of my front end sheetmetal to see how many fitment issues I'm gonna have. (well, that and I was just anxious to see it somewhat together for the first time in 6 or 7 years!). Anyway...I'm trying to figure the correct "stacking order" where the leading nose of the wheelwell, fender and nose all bolt together. As it is now, I have the wheelwell flange inside the nosepiece, rather than inside the headlight area. I had replaced the leading flange on both wheelwells due to rust, so not positive, but the notches and bends in that flange area only make sense to me if it it goes that way. Obviously, the fender and nose are next to each other, but it looks like the wheelwell could be on either side of that....and I'm guessing it's on the  side of the nosepiece. Is this correct? Am I making sense with my description?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

RICH MUISE

Anyone?? Please. I just need someone to pop their hood and look at the fenderwells forward of where the core support bolts on to see if that leading 3" or so of the fenderwell changes to the engine side of the fender. You'll see the top end of the fenderwell inside the ends of the nosepiece if it does.
Gotsta find an assembly manual that covers the front clip!
Rich

Ford Blue blood

Rich I am in WI right now so I can't look at my stuff, be on the road tomorrow to a friends house, look at his then.  As I recall the fender and the inner fender come off in one assembly....after the gravel pan and the bumper support and the grill are out.  The fender and the nose piece need to be unbolted too.....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Zapato

Rich, if I'm understanding your request here's how my front clip is, fender goes over the inner fender all the way front to back, everything else bolts in between the fenders. hope that makes sense.

Zap- :unitedstates: :006:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

RICH MUISE

Zap..it makes sense, thanks. It's just not how I figured it would go....actually I think it could go either way, I'm probably overworrying as usual.
Bill..if you could look see how his is put together it would be great to have a second opinion.
Drive careful ...roads slick up there?
Rich

Zapato

If it could go either way then am sure they left the many assembly plants both ways. And probably both ways at any one plant.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

Mark

I just looked at mine, just like what Zapato said.

RICH MUISE

I snapped a pic from the underside. Also a pic with the fr fender and hood in place (actually just sitting there)
Thanks Mark

RICH MUISE

I'm quite pleased with the view from the drivers seat. I think I got the seat height just right, which was kinda hard to do without having anything infront of the windshield to reference.

I'm also planning on installing the turn signal indicators in the hood scoop. I probably should have started another post on that, but I'm thinking of using the "wireless" electrical contacts like I used on the door jambs for the power windows. That would prevent having to run the turn signal wiring all the way to the nose, and then figure a way to route them up to and into the hood.Any thoughts on that idea?

Mark

Rich, I just emailed you 2 pictures, hope it helps

RICH MUISE

I'll check them out. Thanks for doing that....much appreciated.
Rich

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2012-12-29 16:25
Zap..it makes sense, thanks. It's just not how I figured it would go....actually I think it could go either way, I'm probably overworrying as usual.
Bill..if you could look see how his is put together it would be great to have a second opinion.
Drive careful ...roads slick up there?
Rich

Rich you got it right, my friends 57 is like the picture you posted, raining here so have to look at the retract after it stops, know it has never been apart. 

Major roads weren't bad, slushy, side roads were hard pack and very drivable.  Truck was covered with salt (red truck with white sides and tail gate...) by the time we got to TN.  Rainined all the way down to Birmingham today so I'm hoping the salt was all washed off.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

RICH MUISE

You mean I may have finally gotten something right? cool. Thanks Bill

Ford Blue blood

Rich it looks like you're getting a lot of things right!  The ride is looking good!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

RICH MUISE

Thanks Bill. What do you think of the idea of using the "wireless" door contacts for the turn indicator wiring to the hood scoop?