News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

292 to Ford O matic kick down linkage

Started by sprink88, 2013-01-01 13:53

Previous topic - Next topic

sprink88

Looking for it. Anybody have one? Or does it affect the tranny performance?
~Chris

Ford Blue blood

Been running a C-6 without one for years...works very well, kicks down at full throttle and ups shifts as it should.  Try it with out, nothing to lose.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Hoosier Hurricane

Does the tranny have a vacuum modulator?  If not, the kickdown is also used to control upshifts.  Without it you have no way to adjust shift points, and the shifts will slow and soft, resulting in premature band and clutch wear.  The C6 shifts fine without it because the vacuum modulator does the controlling.

John

sprink88

~Chris

hiball3985

When you do get it set up the adjustment is critical to proper operation.

This may help, if I can explain it correctly...disconnect the trans rod from the throttle linkage...pull the rod upward till it hits its internal stop, adjust the clevis untill it lines up with the throttle linkage and pin fits freely, then turn it an additional 3 turns counterclokwise to lengthen it and reattach to throttle lever..sorry I can't remember more...I haven't had a Fordomatic since 1969 in my 55 crown vic..this is why all my cars since then have been sticks.. :003:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

sprink88

Thank you for the info. This spring I am going to look at a couple junk yards with 57's in them. I found one that is boasting to have 10-12 '57 Fords in it. I have not been there yet, but I have talked to him on the phone.
~Chris

sprink88

Oh, I was also going to add, under heavy acceleration I am slipping, that could be a band but I just want the kickdown linkage too.

And Highball, I stick would be nice. Way more simpler. But the Fordo makes it a nice cruiser.
~Chris

hiball3985

Sorry, I'm a bit confused. Are you driving it with that linkage missing?? If I recall and I'll double check later when I get out to the garage, that linkage also controls the pressure and without it you would experience slippage. I think the bands are externally adjustable too.

One great thing I always liked about the Fordomatic was you can push start the car if needed.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

sprink88

Yes, I drove it last year with out it. Not hammering on it so I have had a lot of early shifts and no acceleration on the highway. But I am buying ANOTHER 292 and Fordo. Picking it up next weekend. Want everything assembled correct. That will make a total of 4 Fordos and 2 292's in possesion. It is starting to become a Y block hoarders scenario here. lol
~Chris