News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Pics of My '57 Custom

Started by Ecode70D, 2013-01-06 15:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecode70D

"  If I broke a window, it did not matter...had several used ones in inventory.  On the '57s, the glass is on my dime and the gasket is cheaper than the glass.  I cut the gasket to insure safe removal of the glass.  It would be nice to have good original glass but it all shows age.  The business coupe, rear side glass was thicker than the replacement glass."

gassman826

I had to remove the front and rear glass  from my car so that I could install the new headliner and get some fresh paint the ridge.  I cut them out and used new rubbers.  Everything went together with no problem except my wife was missing a piece of the cloths line.
   The side rear glass came out easier than the front and rear windshield. All I did was unbolt the screws that hold the bracket in place against the rubber and they came right out.

F570RD

Can you tell us the factory options on this car in three words or less?Nice find!

Ecode70D

F7ord
I can't do in three words or less.

Three speed non overdrive
Power brakes with the small standard shift Stainless Steel brake pedal cover
4:11 rear
dual quad 312
Colonial white color
business coupe
I put on T Bird  rocker covers that it didn't come with
Radio delete
Clock delete
right sun visor delete
No right arm rest
Don't know if it came with left arm rest, but I ordered one in the kit from ABC upholstery
     (I'll have to research that before I install  it)
That's all I can think of right now.

JA

F570RD

I like the no right arm rest.Power brakes is an odd one for sure with this striped down 57.

Ecode70D

Quote from: F570RD
I like the no right arm rest.Power brakes is an odd one for sure with this striped down 57.
/quote]

F57ORD
      I did actually see one just like mine on a 57 custom 4 door.  It was an old Maine police car that had the dual quad package and standard shift with power brakes.  It had the same strange  2 piece brake swing arm,  small brake pedal with stainless cover on it and the vacuum tank under the left front fender.
      I will be the first to admit that it does look odd to look inside and see two mismatched (but OEM)  pedals under the dash.   The clutch pedal is all rubber and the brake is rubber with stainless steel around it.
      You can be sure that the guys at the car cruises will be giving the business this summer (If I get it done) for having mismatched pedals.
JA

JPotter57

That tray looks awesome Jay.  You know, an oem tray if you can find one, will sell for more than a buildable Custom a lot of times.  The last one I saw went for over $2500 and thats been a few years...very scarce part.  Your reproduction looks outstanding.  Very nice work.  What did you use, 16 or 18 gauge, or heavier?
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Zapato

SSSSSSH! Don't say that so loud or I'll never be able to afford one. Don't doubt the one in my car was sold off prior to my buying it.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

Ecode70D

JPotter and Zap
       Thanks for the comment on the tray.
      I was  never able to find a tray and didn't even know what one was supposed to look like until I borrowed the one that I copied.   It is 16 gauge.  I even made the lower supports.  I'm thankful because  I was blessed with hands that can make things/parts that I need.   See picture.   Looks like the whole thing needs to be repainted and I haven't even started to drive the car yet.

JA

Zapato

Tray looks great, and would love to have one, but reality is that I have grandkids so will settle for a fold down wagon backseat. Had a regular back seat in my first bc in high school for similar reasons. while I was in the Navy my mom cleaned out the basement and the tray got tossed along with a lot of other 57 stuff.

But definitely do not want to ride around all the time with an upright seat back showing. Will camo the seat back with some sort of metal and find someone to do roll some beadwork on it.

Zapato

glen b henderson

Thanks for the pictures of the package tray, they give me hope that I can come up with something that will look close the factory.
Freedom is not Free

Ecode70D

[quoteThanks for the pictures of the package tray, they give me hope that I can come up with something that will look close the factory.quote]

Glen
       I think that I still have the buck I used so I can give you some measurements when you get ready to make one.
JA

JPotter57

Send those measurements my way too if you don't mind, Jay.  I was going to make one out of 3/4 marine pllywood and cover it with carpet, but this is much, much cooler.  If you can send me some pics of the buck you made too, that would also be great.

I am glad that when folks join on here, that they are not like some places, and want to keep all the info to themselves.  You have no problem sharing what you know.  You guys are what make this club and forum as good as it is, and as far as I'm concerned, you're the best on the internet or anywhere else.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Zapato

Quote from: JPotter57 on 2013-01-09 12:51

I am glad that when folks join on here, that they are not like some places, and want to keep all the info to themselves.  You have no problem sharing what you know.  You guys are what make this club and forum as good as it is, and as far as I'm concerned, you're the best on the internet or anywhere else.

Agreed !

Zapato

Ecode70D

"Send those measurements my way too if you don't mind, Jay.  I was going to make one out of 3/4 marine pllywood and cover it with carpet, but this is much, much cooler.  If you can send me some pics of the buck you made too, that would also be great."

Jpotter57   (I kinda figured out from what some of the guys that on the forum call you your name is James )

Well anyways I'll send you The pictures of the back area of my car as soon as my new computer decides to let me back it so I can send messages.

I started out this project with the same thoughts as you.  I bought a piece of 3/4" marine plywood and was going to cover it with carpet or rubber rug material. I placed the original on the plywood traced it and it out.  Well it was not that simple.  When I put the plywood in place,  it did not conform to the back of the floor where it rolls up.  That's when I decided to use is as a buck instead  and hammer the sheet metal around it.  This gave me a piece of steel that gently rolled up in the back to conform to the roll in the floor. In the back on that upward roll of the floor, it is held to the floor with sheet metal screws.  The front and middle has brackets /spacers to keep it up off the floor to about the top of the drive shaft tunnel.

If I had to do it again I would  make some changes.  I would make it about 2" narrower.  The actual 70D cardboard side panels sit on the right and left edge of the tray in two channels. I made them also, and you can see them in the pictures. They do not go all the way down to the floor.  It is a bear to get this all lined up with the rear inside garnish molding.  I was lucky because I had original cardboard as patterns.

Maybe this is an easier way to say it.  If I had to do it again,
       1        I would make it out of steel
       2        The tray would be about 2" narrower
       3        The cardboard side panels would go all the way to the floor and not stop on top of the tray. 
       4         No one will ever notice the change if the tray is snug against the side of cardboard instead of on top of it.
       5         If someone gets in into trouble, I would be happy to explain this on the phone.
Jay A 

RICH MUISE

[/quote]
LOL...very diplomatic alternative to begging, James. well done.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe